S.Korea launches world kimchi research centre
Wednesday 10 March 2010
South Korea Wednesday opened a kimchi research centre to raise global demand for its iconic dish and for the country's cuisine in general.
The agriculture ministry said the world kimchi laboratory, sited at the Korea Food Research Institute in Bundang south of Seoul, would undertake detailed research into lactic acids created by fermentation and operate a pilot plant to make prototype foods.
Kimchi is a fermented dish made by mixing pickled cabbage, radish and cucumbers with various spices and condiments.
The spicy side dish has inspired its own museum in Seoul and an annual festival and was even blasted into space with the country's first astronaut in 2008.
"The laboratory can provide scientific studies and create data needed to transform kimchi into a more global dish, as well as promote overseas demand for Korean food in general," a ministry official told Yonhap news agency.
The government is trying to promote Korean food overseas. It aims to increase agriculture and fisheries exports to 10 billion dollars by 2012 from 4.8 billion last year.
Life & Style blogs
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
Contraceptive pill 'can affect emotions by changing structure of brain'
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...