The perfect watering hole
What’s your idea of the perfect beer garden? Is it beside the sea or in the heart of the city or countryside? Help us find the best and you could win a VIP trip for two to Ibiza
Thursday 14 July 2011
With the mercury hitting the heights, what better way to keep cool than with a beer as you sit with friends in your favourite outdoor drinking spot. Pub and beer expert Jane Peyton is in the middle of a tour around Britain searching for the country’s ultimate watering holes and we’re keen to know where your best beer gardens are. Why not add your suggestions to the Summer Shortlist and you’ll be in for a chance to win an unforgettable VIP trip to Ibiza for you and a friend.
This week’s tip for a top al fresco spot to sip a San Miguel, Spain’s leading quality lager, is Dukes 92 bar in Manchester. Perfectly placed overlooking the Castlefield Basin and adjacent to Duke’s Lock on the Rochdale Canal, the bar was originally the stable block of a 19th century warehouse.
Celebrated by Mancunians as a lively social destination, the bar’s extensive courtyard presents a picturesque vista of the city’s commercial heritage, punctuated by canal barges floating languidly past.
No need to move far if you’re hungry – in summer it’s barbeque Friday, Saturday and Sunday out on the terrace, or you can order à la carte from the grill menu.
When the sun is out, lighting up the red brick of the surrounding warehouses, and you are holding a cold glass of San Miguel, there’s no better place to be in Manchester.
“There is always a great atmosphere with lots going on” - David Tremlett, regular
- Dukes 92, 18-25 Castle Street, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4LZ
- Tel: 0161 839 8642
- Mon-Thurs 12pm-11pm; Fri 12pm-2am; Sat 10am-2am; Sun 10am-10.30pm
- Summer barbeque available all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday (weather dependent)
Win a VIP trip to Ibiza
Summer is here and to celebrate San Miguel is on a mission to find Britain’s best beer gardens. But we also want to hear from you. Simply tell us about your favourite outdoor drinking spot and you could win an unforgettable VIP trip for two to Ibiza. To get involved, join us on Facebook and you can start dreaming about that island in the sun. Visit www.independent.co.uk/sanmiguel to enter.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...