Toblerone is delicious. Chocolate mousse is delicious. So Toblerone chocolate mousse would almost certainly be doubly delicious.
Rejoice, then, that one food blogger has concocted such a creation - and even better, you need just three ingredients to make it.
“Prepare to weep,” says Australian Marie Phitidis, whose blog Phoodie has amassed a huge following thanks to her delicious recipes.
“Prepare to watch those that you serve this to weep,” she wrote. “From joy, from joy. Always from joy.
With step-by-step photos, the recipe is so simple anyone can do it - the majority is done in the microwave.
And, according to Phitidis, it’s “ridiculously delicious”.
But don’t just take her word for it - the comments below the recipe are full of praise:
“I made this today. It was amazing and super easy!!” wrote one person.
“The mousse was weep-worthy,” added another.
Phitidis says you should note that the recipe serves 12 – “I wanted to serve it in my fancy schmancy Limoges Porcelain tea cups (which are massive) so I did ‘double serve’ cups i.e. recipe serves 12, but I just made it in six cups.
“It will set faster if you divide it into 12 cups, however, it should be noted, this is a divinely silky, smooth mousse as opposed to an airy, fluffy one. The other option is that you could set it in a massive bowl, one that everyone just serves themselves from, but again, this would take longer to set!”
Here’s Phitidis’ recipe:
- 400g Toblerone (You can use Dark Choc Toblerone if you like but I use Milk Choc Toblerone)
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 210g white marshmallows (note: I used pink and white in the pictures below but I recommend using white only so as to get more of the Toblerone flavour)
- For the second stage you will need – 2 cups thickened cream (you need to whip this) and 250g Toblerone (roughly chopped to decorate mousse)
- Roughly chop the 400g of Toblerone and place it in a large microwave safe bowl with the 2 cups of cream and the marshmallows. Stir thoroughly.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes (at 30 second intervals, stirring each 30 seconds, to ensure it doesn’t burn) note: it may take more or less than 3 minutes in your microwave, you are simply aiming to melt all of these ingredients together. As such, you could also do this on the stove, either directly or using a bain marie – but make sure to stir so it doesn’t burn!
- Remove mixture from microwave, use a whisk to give it a good stir and set aside on your bench for it to cool completely.
- Whip the additional cream to soft peak stage and chop the additional Toblerone.
- Add the whipped cream to the cooled Toblerone picture – start by folding it through with a spatula and then use a whisk to combine it at the final stages. The mixture should be very smooth, you don’t want any random lumps of cream, but remember, the melted Toblerone will mean that there are some almond nougat lumps and that’s all good!
- Divide the mixture into 12 small cups/bowls/tea cups/Chinese tea cups/whatever you like and place into the fridge for about 45 mins or so, just so that the top layer sets slightly. Remove from fridge and top each serve with a generous sprinkling of Toblerone. Place back into fridge for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight, to set. This tastes great even made a day or a day and a half ahead!