Watch: Canadian McDonald's freezes $4,000 in giant block of ice
Tuesday 09 August 2011
A McDonald's in Canada gave away $4,000 (€2,835) in dollar coins - but made people work for their loot by freezing the money in a block of ice.
Suspended in ice in the form of the golden arches, 4,000 loonies - Canadian-speak for the dollar coin - were given away as a promotional stunt in Sylvan Lake, Alberta, last week.
A YouTube video shows man, woman, child - and even dog - chipping (or licking away) at the frozen ice block with stones to get at the money. It took five hours for the public to dismantle the ice sculpture and walk home with a few extra bucks.
The campaign was to promote the Dollar Drink Days this summer.
"This is what passes for a big night in Canada," wrote AdWeek, in a snarky comment.
Watch as passersby attack the block of ice with stones and bare hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ITLA36uXM.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...