Wendy's burger chain flips last burgers in Japan
Friday 11 December 2009
Wendy's, the fast-food chain known for its square hamburgers, is withdrawing from Japan, ending a seven-year presence in the crowded market, a company official said Friday.
Zensho Co., which runs the burger chain in Japan, will end its contract with Ohio-based franchisor Wendy's/Arby's Group Inc. and close all of its 71 outlets by the end of this year, Zensho spokesman Naoki Fujita said.
"We decided that it was no longer necessary to invest funds and human resources" into the chain, he said.
Wendy's has struggled to compete with bigger rivals Burger King and McDonald's, which was the pioneering fast food chain in Japan, where it opened its first restaurant in 1971 and now operates some 3,800 outlets.
Wendy's Japan racked up sales of 6.2 billion yen (70 million dollars) in the business year ending March 2009, Fujita said. Zensho also operates other fast-food chains, including the Sukiya beef-bowl restaurants.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...