What the average American eats in a year captivates Tumblr
Thursday 15 September 2011
An enlightening and perhaps even disturbing infographic charting what the average American eats in a year is making the rounds on the web with Tumblr users reblogging the year-old diagram this week.
Created by Visual Economics and published last summer, the 'pie chart' of food consumption in America resurfaced on The Atlantic's Tumblr feed this week which was picked up by fellow bloggers: as of September 15, 3 pm GMT, the "What Are We Eating?" infographic was one of the top five food posts that generated activity on the blogging site.
After compiling stats from sources like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) graphic artists at Visual Economics put the following information in picture form:
- the average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996 lbs (905 kg) of food a year?
- every year, Americans eat 29 lbs (13 kg) of French fries; 23 lbs (10 kg) of pizza; and 24 lbs (11 kg) of ice cream?
- the average American also eats 31 lbs (14 kg) of cheese and drink 53 gallons (200 l) of soda each year
Other popular food posts on Tumblr this week included a banana and chocolate sandwich, a heart-shaped foam cappuccino, an asparagus cake, and an instructional post on how to lattice pie crust cookies.
To see the original pie chart on "What Are We Eating?" visit http://www.visualeconomics.com/food-consumption-in-america_2010-07-12/.
Life & Style blogs
Holocaust Memorial Day: 70 years since Auschwitz liberation, these are the stories of survivors
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Facebook, Instagram websites down — Lizard Squad hint at involvement, but Facebook claims it broke itself
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 4 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 5 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...