What the average American eats in a year captivates Tumblr
Thursday 15 September 2011
An enlightening and perhaps even disturbing infographic charting what the average American eats in a year is making the rounds on the web with Tumblr users reblogging the year-old diagram this week.
Created by Visual Economics and published last summer, the 'pie chart' of food consumption in America resurfaced on The Atlantic's Tumblr feed this week which was picked up by fellow bloggers: as of September 15, 3 pm GMT, the "What Are We Eating?" infographic was one of the top five food posts that generated activity on the blogging site.
After compiling stats from sources like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) graphic artists at Visual Economics put the following information in picture form:
- the average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996 lbs (905 kg) of food a year?
- every year, Americans eat 29 lbs (13 kg) of French fries; 23 lbs (10 kg) of pizza; and 24 lbs (11 kg) of ice cream?
- the average American also eats 31 lbs (14 kg) of cheese and drink 53 gallons (200 l) of soda each year
Other popular food posts on Tumblr this week included a banana and chocolate sandwich, a heart-shaped foam cappuccino, an asparagus cake, and an instructional post on how to lattice pie crust cookies.
To see the original pie chart on "What Are We Eating?" visit http://www.visualeconomics.com/food-consumption-in-america_2010-07-12/.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
- 1 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Investigo: A growing group of top end restaurants l...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...