Gateway/Somerfield features Italy this month, with a useful reduction on the cool, crisp north Italian 1992 Chardonnay del Piemonte, pounds 3.35, down from pounds 3.69, and two excellent reds, the traditionally Calabrian, raisin-rich 1990 Librandi Ciro Rosso, pounds 3.99, down from pounds 4.25, and the modern Sardinian red, 1990 Carignano del Sulcis, Santadi, reduced to pounds 4.45 from pounds 4.75.
Sainsbury's has two Peter Bright Argentine wines on its shelves: the red is a respectable Malbec Cabernet Sauvignon, but I prefer the white, the delicately scented, Torrontes Argentinian Dry White, introductory offer price pounds 2.99 ( pounds 3.49 from Sunday week).
Meanwhile The Catalyst, pounds 5.99, Oddbins, is back. This is the latest vintage of Rhone Ranger Randall Grahm's successful, Rhone-like Californian red. Made from syrah, grenache and mourvedre, it is a highly aromatic, raspberryish, dry red with notes of pepper and cinnamon.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...