Wine Box: Cheap and cheering
Just pounds 2.69 for an eight-year-old oak-aged rioja? Silly season stuff? Rub your eyes by all means, but yes, that is the price. Sainsbury's has managed to pick up a one-off lot of this delightfully mature Spanish tinto, which has about it something of mature burgundy. It needs to be drunk up, and at this price it should encounter very little resistance.
1991 Mitchelton Marsanne, Victoria, pounds 4.99 (Oddbins, Asda).
This is a long-standing favourite of mine, a white wine in which, although the honeysuckle aromas and generous tropical-fruit flavours are distinctively Australian, the emphasis is firmly on fresh fruit. At under a fiver, it is very reasonably priced for such a terrific wine.
1991 Volnay, pounds 9.99 (Peatlings shops in East Anglia and Peatlings Wine Centre, Clerkenwell Road, London EC1). This is a red burgundy with fine aromatic pinot noir quality and rich, earthy pinot noir fruit. It may be somewhat on the solid, rustic side, but it boasts honest pinot noir red-fruits character, a commodity that is in relatively short supply from red burgundy priced at under pounds 10.
This could do with a bit more time to soften, but it is basically a good wine at the price.
Life & Style blogs
How old is your heart? US research finds three out of four people have hearts five years older than their actual age
iPhone 6s Plus photos: leaks show Force Touch display, subtly altered size
Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
How to discover who your best friends are on WhatsApp - using a tool within the application
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...