Wine Box: Cheap and cheering
Just pounds 2.69 for an eight-year-old oak-aged rioja? Silly season stuff? Rub your eyes by all means, but yes, that is the price. Sainsbury's has managed to pick up a one-off lot of this delightfully mature Spanish tinto, which has about it something of mature burgundy. It needs to be drunk up, and at this price it should encounter very little resistance.
1991 Mitchelton Marsanne, Victoria, pounds 4.99 (Oddbins, Asda).
This is a long-standing favourite of mine, a white wine in which, although the honeysuckle aromas and generous tropical-fruit flavours are distinctively Australian, the emphasis is firmly on fresh fruit. At under a fiver, it is very reasonably priced for such a terrific wine.
1991 Volnay, pounds 9.99 (Peatlings shops in East Anglia and Peatlings Wine Centre, Clerkenwell Road, London EC1). This is a red burgundy with fine aromatic pinot noir quality and rich, earthy pinot noir fruit. It may be somewhat on the solid, rustic side, but it boasts honest pinot noir red-fruits character, a commodity that is in relatively short supply from red burgundy priced at under pounds 10.
This could do with a bit more time to soften, but it is basically a good wine at the price.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
30,000 to 35,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: We are currently recruiting on...
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...