Wines of the week
Saturday 01 August 1992
Sauvignon apart, another of the great summer wines is Portugal's vinho verde - in Portugal. Too often it arrives here so saccharine-sweet that it loses its zip. Not Asda's Dry Vinho Verde. At 9 per cent alcohol, it is ultra-light, and the fruit so dry and refreshing, you feel as though you are crunching slightly under-ripe grapes, which then explode like fermenting sherbet lemons in the mouth. Recommended for hot days and heavy thirsts. Last month I mentioned the unusual 1991 Redwood Valley Chardonnay from New Zealand. Now in at Wine Rack and Bottoms Up, pounds 8.99, its pungent, zesty tropical fruit aromas are given added complexity by a touch of 'noble rot', which just goes to show that the French have no monopoly over things seriously and nobly rotten.
Life & Style blogs
Hayfever pills and sleeping aids can 'significantly increase' risk of Alzheimer’s, says US study
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
Nike Back to the Future style self-lacing shoes 'will arrive in 2015'
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Chilling drone footage captures Auschwitz ahead of 70th anniversary of liberation
- 5 Narendra Modi: Indian Prime Minister wears suit with pinstripes that spell his name to meet Barack Obama
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...