Wines of the Week
Saturday 29 August 1992
So what do you do with a scented, summery, dry white wine you can't sell because it's made from rhine riesling? You dress it up in a Bordeaux bottle, of course, and call it something else. Hence Penfold's Glenloth Coonawarra Dry White, pounds 2.99, Oddbins, and Somerfield Dry White, pounds 2.99, Gateway. Good value, too, at Gateway is their oak-aged Syrah, Vin de Pays d'Oc 1991, pounds 2.85, a vibrant, agreeably rustic, full-flavoured red.
From the same region, Domaine de St Laurent is another affordable vin de pays made by a Frenchman with the unlikely name (for a Frenchman) of Eric Latham. The 1991 white, pounds 2.85, Asda, is cleanly made and invigorating with a hint of baked-apple fruitiness. The 1990 red is spicy and soft and, at pounds 2.65, excellent value.
Still in vin de pays country, Chais Baumiere 1991 Sauvignon Blanc, pounds 4.95, Sainsbury, captures the crisp, mouth-watering varietal character of the sauvignon grape, adding a touch of new world tropical fruitiness.
Life & Style blogs
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...