World cognac sales plunge in 2009
Sunday 17 January 2010
Worldwide sales of cognac fell for the second year in a row in 2009 with a 12.4 percent drop, even sharper than the 6.2-percent fall in 2008, the industry association said on Friday.
Nearly 130 million bottles were shipped last year, compared to 148.2 million in 2008, said the BNIC national trade office, based in the Cognac region of France where the drink is made.
Sales dropped by 18 percent in Europe, 9.9 percent in eastern Asia, 9.2 percent in the NAFTA trade group (United States, Canada and Mexico), and 6.2 percent in other countries.
But demand for cognac surged in the last quarter of 2009 in the United States, where exports rose by 19 percent compared to the same period in 2008. They also rose by 6.2 percent in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Global sales had already dropped in 2008, the first slump in six years.
From 2001 and 2007, cognac sales worldwide soared 36.8 percent.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after performer tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 5 Medina: Saudis take a bulldozer to Islam's history
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...