World cognac sales plunge in 2009
Sunday 17 January 2010
Worldwide sales of cognac fell for the second year in a row in 2009 with a 12.4 percent drop, even sharper than the 6.2-percent fall in 2008, the industry association said on Friday.
Nearly 130 million bottles were shipped last year, compared to 148.2 million in 2008, said the BNIC national trade office, based in the Cognac region of France where the drink is made.
Sales dropped by 18 percent in Europe, 9.9 percent in eastern Asia, 9.2 percent in the NAFTA trade group (United States, Canada and Mexico), and 6.2 percent in other countries.
But demand for cognac surged in the last quarter of 2009 in the United States, where exports rose by 19 percent compared to the same period in 2008. They also rose by 6.2 percent in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Global sales had already dropped in 2008, the first slump in six years.
From 2001 and 2007, cognac sales worldwide soared 36.8 percent.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Is it the end of the road for three-point turn in driving test?
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Black Friday: best UK tech deals on iPads, Macs, PS4 and more
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke beats opponent 33 years his junior in exhibition boxing match
- 2 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 3 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 4 Today was a bad day for renters, landlords, and democracy
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
iJobs Food & Drink
£31000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the UK, the major project fo...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achieving...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: A rapidly growing Hotel ...
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...