World cognac sales plunge in 2009
Sunday 17 January 2010
Worldwide sales of cognac fell for the second year in a row in 2009 with a 12.4 percent drop, even sharper than the 6.2-percent fall in 2008, the industry association said on Friday.
Nearly 130 million bottles were shipped last year, compared to 148.2 million in 2008, said the BNIC national trade office, based in the Cognac region of France where the drink is made.
Sales dropped by 18 percent in Europe, 9.9 percent in eastern Asia, 9.2 percent in the NAFTA trade group (United States, Canada and Mexico), and 6.2 percent in other countries.
But demand for cognac surged in the last quarter of 2009 in the United States, where exports rose by 19 percent compared to the same period in 2008. They also rose by 6.2 percent in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Global sales had already dropped in 2008, the first slump in six years.
From 2001 and 2007, cognac sales worldwide soared 36.8 percent.
Life & Style blogs
'Timeless fashion': It may be a paradox, but the industry loves it
The brothel buster: Meet the man who gets paid to have sex with prostitutes
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...