Former Soviet Union: Traveller's Guide
Saturday 17 July 1999
Every visitor to Russia needs a visa. The Russian Consulate is at 5 Kensington Palace Gardens, London W8 4QP (tel 0171-229 8027; fax 0171- 229 3215). It opens only 10am-12.30pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. You need to have travel arrangements booked to get a visa, and to supply evidence of this from a tour operator based in Russia. To avoid the hassle, you can get your visa organised by a specialist tour operator.
Getting there: Flights to Moscow or St Petersburg cost about pounds 300 return through discount agents such as Regent Holidays (0117-921 1711) and IMS Travel (0171-224 4678). If you want to fly direct to Samarkand, the best contact is Uzbekistan Airways, 72 Wigmore Street, London W1H 9DL (0171- 935 4775), or a specialist tour operator.
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
Titanfall: First-person shooter lands with a boom on Xbox One, but will it save Microsoft's console?
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...