1,500 of US's richest millionaires don’t pay tax: top Diggs
Tuesday 16 August 2011
The most popular news, videos and images as picked by Digg users during the last seven days, recorded on August 16.
1. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
A New York Times article calling on the American government to change policies that provide “extraordinary tax breaks” for the mega-rich while poor and middle class Americans “struggle to make ends meet.”
2. Millionaires Don't Pay Taxes? 1,470 of America's Richest Didn't, According to IRS
Close to 1,500 millionaires and billionaires reportedly used “Mack-truck sized loopholes” in America’s tax code to legitimately avoid paying taxes in the country in 2009.
3. Time to Stand Up to a Government That Does Not Represent Our Views
A blogpost on MichaelMoore.com that calls on Americans to “get organized and mobilized to demand what we want [from the government].”
4. Michele Bachmann Takes $1.1 M From Taxpayers But Claims Unemployment Benefits Are Unaffordable
A video of congresswoman Michele Bachmann stating that it would be “very difficult” to extend jobless benefits for people who are out of work. The article also reveals that she (and her husband) has received $1.1 million in taxpayer money since her election to Congress.
5. Warren Buffett Urges Congress to Increase Taxes on ‘Coddled’ Billionaires
A second article that calls on Congress to increase taxes for people that make more than $1 million a year in the US.
Life & Style blogs
The high-powered dream team trying to create a stiletto shoe as comfy as a trainer
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
Apple MacBook review: preposterously thin and extravagantly attractive, this is the best-designed laptop Apple has ever made
UK skin cancer statistics 'shocking' as sun-worshippers ignore the dangers of exposure
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
Indonesia executions live: 'Hysterical' families heard prisoners being shot dead by firing squad
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
- 1 Which country would be hardest to invade?
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 4 Royal baby girl born: Duchess of Cambridge's second child will be a princess thanks to Queen
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As your knowledge grows you wil...
£40000 - £48000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Engineer - Linux ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Cloud ...