1,500 of US's richest millionaires don’t pay tax: top Diggs
Tuesday 16 August 2011
The most popular news, videos and images as picked by Digg users during the last seven days, recorded on August 16.
1. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
A New York Times article calling on the American government to change policies that provide “extraordinary tax breaks” for the mega-rich while poor and middle class Americans “struggle to make ends meet.”
2. Millionaires Don't Pay Taxes? 1,470 of America's Richest Didn't, According to IRS
Close to 1,500 millionaires and billionaires reportedly used “Mack-truck sized loopholes” in America’s tax code to legitimately avoid paying taxes in the country in 2009.
3. Time to Stand Up to a Government That Does Not Represent Our Views
A blogpost on MichaelMoore.com that calls on Americans to “get organized and mobilized to demand what we want [from the government].”
4. Michele Bachmann Takes $1.1 M From Taxpayers But Claims Unemployment Benefits Are Unaffordable
A video of congresswoman Michele Bachmann stating that it would be “very difficult” to extend jobless benefits for people who are out of work. The article also reveals that she (and her husband) has received $1.1 million in taxpayer money since her election to Congress.
5. Warren Buffett Urges Congress to Increase Taxes on ‘Coddled’ Billionaires
A second article that calls on Congress to increase taxes for people that make more than $1 million a year in the US.
Britain First criticised for using actress's memory to draw attention to their 'hate-filled home page'
Emergency call 'started off dumb, but got pretty serious'
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Virus to kill 67,000 in Monrovia by December, claims academic study
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Ebola: NYC doctor Craig Spencer tests positive for disease after returning from west Africa
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
Controversy over Queen Elizabeth II's 'first tweet'
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior Software Engineer - C#, VB.N...