1,500 of US's richest millionaires don’t pay tax: top Diggs
Tuesday 16 August 2011
The most popular news, videos and images as picked by Digg users during the last seven days, recorded on August 16.
1. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
A New York Times article calling on the American government to change policies that provide “extraordinary tax breaks” for the mega-rich while poor and middle class Americans “struggle to make ends meet.”
2. Millionaires Don't Pay Taxes? 1,470 of America's Richest Didn't, According to IRS
Close to 1,500 millionaires and billionaires reportedly used “Mack-truck sized loopholes” in America’s tax code to legitimately avoid paying taxes in the country in 2009.
3. Time to Stand Up to a Government That Does Not Represent Our Views
A blogpost on MichaelMoore.com that calls on Americans to “get organized and mobilized to demand what we want [from the government].”
4. Michele Bachmann Takes $1.1 M From Taxpayers But Claims Unemployment Benefits Are Unaffordable
A video of congresswoman Michele Bachmann stating that it would be “very difficult” to extend jobless benefits for people who are out of work. The article also reveals that she (and her husband) has received $1.1 million in taxpayer money since her election to Congress.
5. Warren Buffett Urges Congress to Increase Taxes on ‘Coddled’ Billionaires
A second article that calls on Congress to increase taxes for people that make more than $1 million a year in the US.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Porn film production 'must stop in Los Angeles' after actor tests positive for HIV
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Unseen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory chapter deemed 'too subversive' released
- 2 Ebola virus: It's ripped through towns – now the deadliest ever outbreak of the virus is heading for Africa's teeming cities
- 3 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Infrastructure Engineer, VMware (VCP, NetApp,...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + pension, healthcare,25 days: Ashdown Group: An est...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Huxley Associates are currentl...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Computer Futures are currently...