1,500 of US's richest millionaires don’t pay tax: top Diggs
Tuesday 16 August 2011
The most popular news, videos and images as picked by Digg users during the last seven days, recorded on August 16.
1. Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
A New York Times article calling on the American government to change policies that provide “extraordinary tax breaks” for the mega-rich while poor and middle class Americans “struggle to make ends meet.”
2. Millionaires Don't Pay Taxes? 1,470 of America's Richest Didn't, According to IRS
Close to 1,500 millionaires and billionaires reportedly used “Mack-truck sized loopholes” in America’s tax code to legitimately avoid paying taxes in the country in 2009.
3. Time to Stand Up to a Government That Does Not Represent Our Views
A blogpost on MichaelMoore.com that calls on Americans to “get organized and mobilized to demand what we want [from the government].”
4. Michele Bachmann Takes $1.1 M From Taxpayers But Claims Unemployment Benefits Are Unaffordable
A video of congresswoman Michele Bachmann stating that it would be “very difficult” to extend jobless benefits for people who are out of work. The article also reveals that she (and her husband) has received $1.1 million in taxpayer money since her election to Congress.
5. Warren Buffett Urges Congress to Increase Taxes on ‘Coddled’ Billionaires
A second article that calls on Congress to increase taxes for people that make more than $1 million a year in the US.
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
TV presenter Fiona Bruce seemed a bit startled by the find during the filming of Antiques Roadshow
Comedian says he 'never laughed as hard as I have writing with Rik'
Life & Style blogs
Soylent: Could a slug of nutritionally engineered sludge ever replace the leisurely meal?
Jeremy Hunt tells nurses 'path to lower cost is the same as the path to safer care'
Cara Delevingne photographed naked by Mario Testino for Allure magazine
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it behind the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
- 5 Michael McIntyre walks off stage after woman in the front row uses her phone
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£25000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 per annum + 25 days holiday, pension & further benefits: Ashdown Group:...
£45000 per annum: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Datacentre Consultant (Datacentre,...