48 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute
Wednesday 25 May 2011
YouTube said Wednesday that 48 hours of video are being uploaded to the video-sharing site every minute, up from 35 hours per minute at the end of last year.
The Google-owned site, which was founded in May 2005, also said it was attracting a staggering three billion views a day, a 50-percent increase over last year.
"That's the equivalent of nearly half the world's population watching a YouTube video each day, or every US resident watching at least nine videos a day," YouTube said in a blog post.
YouTube said the footage upload rate had grown from eight hours per minute in 2007 to the current 48 hours per minute.
Google bought YouTube in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The Mountain View, California-based Internet search and advertising giant has not yet announced a profit for the site despite its massive global popularity.
YouTube has been gradually adding professional content such as full-length television shows and movies to its vast trove of amateur video offerings in a bid to attract advertisers.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# .NET...
£30 - £32 per hour + free parking: PCR Recruitment Limited: World's Leading Cl...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: PCR Recruitment Limited: Server Side Dev...
£450 - £500 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Broadcast Systems Architect - Fi...