8 million followers for Chinese actress Yao Chen
Monday 09 May 2011
It's a week of milestones for the world’s most followed microbloggers. Yao Chen became the first Chinese microblogger to reach 8 million followers this week.
Only American pop star Lady Gaga (9.8 million followers) and Canadian singer Justin Bieber (9.2 million followers) boast more followers than the Chinese star.
Singers Katy Perry and Dee Hsu broke the 7 million follower barrier this week joining the likes of Britney Spears, Barack Obama and Kim Kardashian, all of whom have surpassed the 7 million follower mark.
After leaping over Chinese singer and actress Xie Na last week, South Korean actor Jung Kyung Ho has now overtaken American talk show host Oprah Winfrey in terms of followers.
Kyung Ho now sports 5.81 million followers to Oprah’s 5.76 million.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 80 million registered users in January 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga (9,795,870 followers)
- Justin Bieber (9,171,606)
- Britney Spears (7,707,839)
- Barack Obama (7,537,242)
- Kim Kardashian (7,382,471)
- Katy Perry (7,114,831)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,628,871)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,390,883)
- Taylor Swift (6,246,381)
- Oprah Winfrey (5,756,917)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (8,007,676 followers)
- Dee Hsu (7,083,060)
- Kevin Tsai (6,479,655)
- Zhao Wei (6,339,218)
- Jung Kyung Ho (5,808,007)
- Xie Na (5,676,902)
Life & Style blogs
The psychology of flirtation: how to know when someone's interested
YouTube star Loey Lane hits back at hateful comments about ‘fat girls in bikinis’ and how plus-size women promote obesity
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
The age of inactivity: How laziness is killing us
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 E.L James's #AskELJames Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Simulation Tec...
£500 - £600 per day: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Solution Architect is requir...
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity for a Software...