'Age of Conan' relaunches as free-to-play
Friday 01 July 2011
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures relaunched as the free-to-play
Age of Conan: Unchained on July 1.
Compulsory subscriptions are scrapped in favor of raising income via item shops, content passes, and premium level memberships.
The change comes ahead of the new Conan film, which debuts mid-August, and the online game's tie-in, the Savage Coast of Turan expansion.
Lord of the Rings Online, another massively multiplayer game based on fantasy fiction, experienced significant success since becoming free-to-play in September 2010.
Subsequently, Champions Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea and APB (in the form of APB: Reloaded) have made similar transitions, with LEGO Universe and City of Heroes announcing their intentions to follow suit.
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Virus to kill 67,000 in Monrovia by December, claims academic study
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
What do the text messages between you and your partner reveal about your relationship?
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo shot dead at war memorial
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 per annum: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Datacentre Consultant (Datacentre,...
£45000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: .NET Develope...
£300 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: SSRS Report Developer – 3 Mon...
£32000 - £39000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Ashdown Group: Generalist HR Man...