Chinese actress Yao Chen bounds over Obama and Britney Spears to become third most popular microblogger
Barack Obama and Britney Spears have been eclipsed by Chinese actress Yao Chen on the list of most popular microbloggers this week.
Chen’s fan count came close to reaching 7.4 million, putting her third on the world’s list of most popular microbloggers behind Justin Bieber (8.7 million followers) and Lady Gaga (9.3 million followers).
New fans flocked to follow Chen’s account after she posted photos and tweeted about spending time with the disadvantaged at a refugee camp in Thailand.
China’s second most popular microblogger, Dee Hsu aka Xiao S, also leap-frogged her way up the international chart. The KangXi Lai Le TV host added 165,197 followers to her total of 6.5 million fans this week putting her in front of American chat show host Elle DeGeneres, whose fan count increased to 6.4 million.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 80 million registered users in January 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga (9,286,807 followers)
- Justin Bieber (8,687,352)
- Britney Spears (7,381,641)
- Barack Obama (7,324,457)
- Kim Kardashian (7,085,651)
- Katy Perry (6,622,641)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,534,124)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,363,692)
- Taylor Swift (5,916,382)
- Oprah Winfrey (5,545,540)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (7,399,028 followers)
- Xi?o S (6,455,915)
- Zhao Wei (5,992,619)
- Cai Kang Yong (5,792,222)
- Xie Na (5,262,163)
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.