Chinese man in coma after being electrocuted by charging iPhone
Incident follows news of the death of bride-to-be Wu Ailan earlier in the week
Friday 19 July 2013
A 30-year-old Chinese man, Wu Jian Tong, has fallen into a coma after being electrocuted by a charging iPhone. The news comes less than a week after reports of a Chinese air hostess killed whilst answering a call on her own charging iPhone.
Wu reportedly yelled “I’m getting shocked” after connecting his iPhone 4 to a charger. His sister rescued him by pulling the charger – later found to be a counterfeit or third-party product – from the socket.
"I then felt needle-like pains on my fingertips. The current was running from my finger, through to my arm and body, and to the foot,” said Wu’s sister. At this point her brother had become unresponsive, spasming and foaming at the mouth.
When an ambulance arrived on the scene Wu was not breathing, and paramedics had to resuscitate him as well as pry open the fingers of his left hand, which had clamped shut on the iPhone.
After taking him to the hospital Wu was found to be in a coma, albeit in a stable condition. “It was no doubt an electric shock," said Wu's doctor at Beijing’s Hai Dian Hospital.
In a response to the incident Apple have said: "It was with great sadness we learned through press reports that a Beijing customer was injured while using a "knock off" or counterfeit charger and we are looking into this further."
"Our customers' safety is very important to us and we have carefully designed all Apple products to meet government safety standards. We recommend our customers only purchase Apple products from Apple or authorized Apple resellers."
Some reports have also suggested that counterfeit charger was also responsible for the earlier death of air hostess and bride-to-be Ma Ailun.
After Ma's death Chinese citizens argued back and forth on the internet regarding the threat posed by charging iPhones. Ma's sister tweeted the incident, saying "I want to warn everyone else not to make phone calls when your mobile phone is recharging."
Early reports over Wu’s electrocution suggest that a counterfeit charger, not Apple, is responsible. Such items are often poorly constructed with inadequate insulation, and the Chinese government are well-known for their inability to stifle counterfeit markets.
Local papers also reported that on the day of Wu's electrocution it had been raining and the air inside the house very humid – factors that would have exacerbated the danger from the charger.
By performing as African Americans or Indians, white people get to play act a kind of 'imaginary liberation', writes Michael Mark Cohen
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site this morning
New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain
Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy
Life & Style blogs
How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween with this step-by-step tutorial
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
Sex with more than 20 women 'reduces risk of prostate cancer'
Woman successfully sues Google for showing her with 'part of her breast exposed' on Street View
Happy Halloween! Google celebrates All Hallows' Eve with Doodle
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 2 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson criticised for beer tweet
- 5 The bubble bursts for Sodastream
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: SThree Group has been...
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Commission: SThree: The SThree group is a world le...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...