Europe's best-selling games of January to March 2010
Thursday 13 May 2010
Satoru Iwata, Nintendo of Japan's President, revealed Europe's top 30 best-selling games for the first three months of 2010 when he gave a financial presentation earlier in May, with three Wii titles topping the list.
Whereas for the same period in 2009 it was Wii Fit that was most popular with European shoppers, in 2010 Wii Fit Plus took over in the number one position.
New Super Mario Bros Wii was the second most popular title, according to Nintendo's interpretation of data supplied by market research firm GfK International.
While most of the best-selling games on Nintendo DS and Wii are made by Nintendo themselves, it was Ubisoft who blessed the Wii-owning public with surprise sales sensation Just Dance.
The music game had been bought 2 million times worldwide between its hushed November 2009 release and the end of March 2010. By the start of May, that figure was poised to break the 3 million mark. Mr Iwata even devoted time during his financial analysis to discuss the success of Ubisoft's party game.
As in the USA, Nintendo were also responsible for the success of the two oldest titles in the chart, 2006's New Super Mario Bros for DS and Wii Play (which comes bundled with an extra Wii Remote controller).
One significant difference between the two markets is the distribution of PlayStation 3 games throughout the chart: in Europe, 6 of 9 top 30 PS3 titles were in the top half of the chart, while in the USA, 6 of the 9 PS3 titles present were in the lower half.
Top 30 best-selling video games in Europe, January-March 2010
1. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) - released October 2009
2. New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii) - November 2009
3. Just Dance (Wii) - November 2009
4. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - March 2010
5. Pokemon SoulSilver (DS) - March 2010
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360) - November 2009
7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - April 2008
8. God of War III (PS3) - March 2010
9. Pokemon HeartGold (DS) - March 2010
10. Heavy Rain (PS3) - February 2010
11. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - July 2009
12. Battlefield Bad Company 2 (360) - March 2010
13. Battlefield Bad Company 2 (PS3) - March 2010
14. FIFA 2010 (PS3) - October 2009
15. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) - November 2009
16. Mass Effect 2 (360) - January 2010
17. New Super Mario Bros (DS) - June 2006
18. Final Fantasy XIII (360) - March 2010
19. Wii Play (Wii) - December 2006
20. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii) - October 2009
21. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (DS) - October 2009
22. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (DS) - September 2009
23. FIFA 2010 (360) - October 2009
24. BioShock 2 (360) - February 2010
25. Aliens vs Predator (360) - February 2010
26. Assassin's Creed II (PS3) - November 2009
27. Forza Motorsport 3 (360) - October 2009
28. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) - April 2008
29. Darksiders (PS3) - January 2010
30. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (PS3) - December 2009
Source: Nintendo of Japan's Financial Results Briefing FY 2010
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
The Last of Us: Ashley Johnson says she would play Ellie in a sequel
UK police to start seizing drivers' mobile phones after all crashes
Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian and me: How Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 5 Ross Burden dead: MasterChef and Ready Steady Cook star dies at age 45
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£35000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Content Manager - Central...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: JAVA DEVELO...
£475 - £550 per day: Progressive Recruitment: MDAX / Dynamics AX / Microsoft D...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .NET/ C# .Pr...