Fastest growing Facebook game of the week: City building trend solidifies
Saturday 20 March 2010
Social City is again the fastest growing game and typifies the new fad for SimCity genre games with a social edge, while Bubble Island and Tiki Resort continue to jostle for 2nd place.
Towner could be Social City's new neighbour, accumulating just short of 1.3 million regular players since it opened to the general public on February 24.
Social City is developed by established Facebook focussed gaming company Playdom, while Towner's creator MetroGames has had a measure of success in the past but is not yet one of the big players.
Interestingly enough it was only in the last week that details regarding one of MetroGames' major investors emerged: it was in fact the aforementioned Playdom, who sunk $5 million into the company.
This only puts further pressure on Zynga to come up with the goods before their users go elsewhere for their city planning kicks. Zynga have never been a company to shy away from emerging trends.
They capitalized on criminal and gang based games with Mafia Wars, their own Restaurant City is in the fastest growth charts as a service industry genre game, and of course not forgetting FarmVille, PetVille and FishVille's unrelenting dominance of the virtual farming, pet and aquarium genres.
All eyes on Zynga then to see how they duplicate and elaborate on the current craze - unless, of course, someone else gets there first.
Fastest growing Facebook games on Friday March 19 at 18:00 GMT
01. Social City (7,069,776 = +3,836,533 / +54.3%)
02. Tiki Resort (2,850,464 = +808,728 / +28.4%)
03. Bubble Island (2,634,300 = +695,888 / +26.4%)
04. Texas HoldEm Poker (28,268,385 = +653,054 / +2.3%)
05. MindJolt Games (21,085,082 = +591,452 / +2.8%)
06. Towner (1,225,248 = +530,036 / +43.3%)
07. Keyboard Mash! (1,031,015 = +451,693 / +43.8%)
08. Jeux Gratuits (1,225,229 = +380,451 / +31.1%)
09. Zoo Paradise (818,347 = +341,073 / +41.9%)
10. Restaurant City (15,504,182 = +297,213 / +1.9%)
Numbers in brackets relate to total monthly users, the increase in monthly users, and the weekly percentage growth.
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
Britain's kitchens so filthy that they present a health risk, says new research
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
KickassTorrents down: new Isle of Man domain taken offline just hours after launch
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election
- 2 Smartphones are making children borderline autistic, says psychiatrist
- 3 Why this father didn’t hide his daughter’s heroin overdose in her obituary
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£70000 - £90000 per annum + bonus + car allowance + benefits: Ashdown Group: H...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Analyst...
£40000 - £48000 per annum + bonus and benefits: Ashdown Group: European Recrui...