Fastest growing Facebook game of the week: City building trend solidifies
Saturday 20 March 2010
Social City is again the fastest growing game and typifies the new fad for SimCity genre games with a social edge, while Bubble Island and Tiki Resort continue to jostle for 2nd place.
Towner could be Social City's new neighbour, accumulating just short of 1.3 million regular players since it opened to the general public on February 24.
Social City is developed by established Facebook focussed gaming company Playdom, while Towner's creator MetroGames has had a measure of success in the past but is not yet one of the big players.
Interestingly enough it was only in the last week that details regarding one of MetroGames' major investors emerged: it was in fact the aforementioned Playdom, who sunk $5 million into the company.
This only puts further pressure on Zynga to come up with the goods before their users go elsewhere for their city planning kicks. Zynga have never been a company to shy away from emerging trends.
They capitalized on criminal and gang based games with Mafia Wars, their own Restaurant City is in the fastest growth charts as a service industry genre game, and of course not forgetting FarmVille, PetVille and FishVille's unrelenting dominance of the virtual farming, pet and aquarium genres.
All eyes on Zynga then to see how they duplicate and elaborate on the current craze - unless, of course, someone else gets there first.
Fastest growing Facebook games on Friday March 19 at 18:00 GMT
01. Social City (7,069,776 = +3,836,533 / +54.3%)
02. Tiki Resort (2,850,464 = +808,728 / +28.4%)
03. Bubble Island (2,634,300 = +695,888 / +26.4%)
04. Texas HoldEm Poker (28,268,385 = +653,054 / +2.3%)
05. MindJolt Games (21,085,082 = +591,452 / +2.8%)
06. Towner (1,225,248 = +530,036 / +43.3%)
07. Keyboard Mash! (1,031,015 = +451,693 / +43.8%)
08. Jeux Gratuits (1,225,229 = +380,451 / +31.1%)
09. Zoo Paradise (818,347 = +341,073 / +41.9%)
10. Restaurant City (15,504,182 = +297,213 / +1.9%)
Numbers in brackets relate to total monthly users, the increase in monthly users, and the weekly percentage growth.
The Microsoft mogul told fans a few home truths during his Reddit AMA
Life & Style blogs
Office plants computer chips under workers’ skin instead of ID cards
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£6240 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a well established websit...
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A skilled .NET developer with e...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support company are cur...