Fastest growing Facebook game of the week: City building trend solidifies
Saturday 20 March 2010
Social City is again the fastest growing game and typifies the new fad for SimCity genre games with a social edge, while Bubble Island and Tiki Resort continue to jostle for 2nd place.
Towner could be Social City's new neighbour, accumulating just short of 1.3 million regular players since it opened to the general public on February 24.
Social City is developed by established Facebook focussed gaming company Playdom, while Towner's creator MetroGames has had a measure of success in the past but is not yet one of the big players.
Interestingly enough it was only in the last week that details regarding one of MetroGames' major investors emerged: it was in fact the aforementioned Playdom, who sunk $5 million into the company.
This only puts further pressure on Zynga to come up with the goods before their users go elsewhere for their city planning kicks. Zynga have never been a company to shy away from emerging trends.
They capitalized on criminal and gang based games with Mafia Wars, their own Restaurant City is in the fastest growth charts as a service industry genre game, and of course not forgetting FarmVille, PetVille and FishVille's unrelenting dominance of the virtual farming, pet and aquarium genres.
All eyes on Zynga then to see how they duplicate and elaborate on the current craze - unless, of course, someone else gets there first.
Fastest growing Facebook games on Friday March 19 at 18:00 GMT
01. Social City (7,069,776 = +3,836,533 / +54.3%)
02. Tiki Resort (2,850,464 = +808,728 / +28.4%)
03. Bubble Island (2,634,300 = +695,888 / +26.4%)
04. Texas HoldEm Poker (28,268,385 = +653,054 / +2.3%)
05. MindJolt Games (21,085,082 = +591,452 / +2.8%)
06. Towner (1,225,248 = +530,036 / +43.3%)
07. Keyboard Mash! (1,031,015 = +451,693 / +43.8%)
08. Jeux Gratuits (1,225,229 = +380,451 / +31.1%)
09. Zoo Paradise (818,347 = +341,073 / +41.9%)
10. Restaurant City (15,504,182 = +297,213 / +1.9%)
Numbers in brackets relate to total monthly users, the increase in monthly users, and the weekly percentage growth.
Life & Style blogs
The Last of Us Remastered: Once stilted and melodramatic, Hollywood is giving acting in video games a makeover
Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
Ebola outbreak: Why has a disease that's only ever killed 2,000 people captivated the darkest side of our imagination?
Government backs massive new £300m gene sequencing project
National Orgasm Day: Don't get caught up on climaxing
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Now diplomacy has failed, boycotting Israel might be the only way we can protect the people of Gaza
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£80000 - £90000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: I am current...
£65000 per annum + 15% Pension, Health, Travel & Bonus: Progressive Recruitmen...
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: SAP BW/BO CONSU...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...