Fastest growing Facebook games of the week: 'Social City' still upwardly mobile
Sunday 28 March 2010
For the third week running, Playdom's
Social City has been the fastest growing Facebook game, attracting the network's leisure-time users with its modern, community take on the classic Sim City town planning game.
No equivalent has been forthcoming from the most successful Facebook gaming company, Zynga - instead, they have been pushing out the straightforward poker game Poker Blitz, complimenting their other well-known but more technical card game, Texas HoldEm Poker (also known as Zynga Poker).
That said, the company have been polling their users to gauge just how popular Social City has become, asking quite candidly for estimates of time spent on the game.
This sort of information would enable Zynga to devote resources to constructing a Social City competitor in proportion to the likelihood that the company's userbase (and therefore income) are to defect to Playdom's trendy app.
It's Supermodel: The Game that's this week's hot new chart entry. Much like LOLapps' Diva Life, Supermodel: The Game is an aspirational game focusing on the glitz and glamor of celebrity life.
One of Supermodel's distinctive traits is its narrower focus on the modelling industry, and as such tries to inject elements of realism in with the escapism.
Another interesting feature is that the game proudly displays its affiliation to the fashion and modelling lifestyle website Modelinia.
Modelinia may be relatively new on the scene, having been launched in 2009, but its CEO and her fellow site founders are also heavliy involved in Full Picture, the production company that launched hit reality TV show Project Runway. So they are at least well versed in generating content that is appealing to young fashionistas and wannabe professional models.
Full Picture's desire to establish itself as a key new media company was one of the factors leading to the creation of Modelinia, and now it seems that Modelinia themselves are now using the appeal of Facebook games to entice readers to their own site, with its mix of celebrity gossip, fashion tips, and insider advice.
Top ten fastest growing Facebook games, Saturday March 27
1. Social City (9,063,567 = +1,993,791 / 22.0%)
2. Bubble Island (3,750,322 = +988,290 / 26.4%)
3. Supermodel: The Game (1,696,375 = +903,826 / 53.3%)
4. Tiki Resort (3,680,788 = +740,891 / 20.1%)
5. Poker Blitz (750,144 = +731,298 / 97.5%)
6. Mafia Wars (25,264,431 = +618,697 / 2.5%)
7. Zoo Paradise (1,433,733 = +539,001 / 37.6%)
8. Towner (1,713,623 = +431,341 / 25.2%)
9. Keyboard Mash! (1,619,818 = +355,515 / 22.0%)
10. PetVille (20,236,962 = +345,272 / 1.7%)
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Scottish salmon sales leap as Asia develops a taste
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore disappears over Java Sea
- 5 Naomi Wolf reacts to Isis 'conspiracy theories' critism after she questions whether beheading videos are real
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a Web Developer looking...
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Moodle Developer (PHP ,Linux, Apache...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£21000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Award-winning pharma softw...