Fastest growing Facebook games of the week: 'Social City' still upwardly mobile
Sunday 28 March 2010
For the third week running, Playdom's
Social City has been the fastest growing Facebook game, attracting the network's leisure-time users with its modern, community take on the classic Sim City town planning game.
No equivalent has been forthcoming from the most successful Facebook gaming company, Zynga - instead, they have been pushing out the straightforward poker game Poker Blitz, complimenting their other well-known but more technical card game, Texas HoldEm Poker (also known as Zynga Poker).
That said, the company have been polling their users to gauge just how popular Social City has become, asking quite candidly for estimates of time spent on the game.
This sort of information would enable Zynga to devote resources to constructing a Social City competitor in proportion to the likelihood that the company's userbase (and therefore income) are to defect to Playdom's trendy app.
It's Supermodel: The Game that's this week's hot new chart entry. Much like LOLapps' Diva Life, Supermodel: The Game is an aspirational game focusing on the glitz and glamor of celebrity life.
One of Supermodel's distinctive traits is its narrower focus on the modelling industry, and as such tries to inject elements of realism in with the escapism.
Another interesting feature is that the game proudly displays its affiliation to the fashion and modelling lifestyle website Modelinia.
Modelinia may be relatively new on the scene, having been launched in 2009, but its CEO and her fellow site founders are also heavliy involved in Full Picture, the production company that launched hit reality TV show Project Runway. So they are at least well versed in generating content that is appealing to young fashionistas and wannabe professional models.
Full Picture's desire to establish itself as a key new media company was one of the factors leading to the creation of Modelinia, and now it seems that Modelinia themselves are now using the appeal of Facebook games to entice readers to their own site, with its mix of celebrity gossip, fashion tips, and insider advice.
Top ten fastest growing Facebook games, Saturday March 27
1. Social City (9,063,567 = +1,993,791 / 22.0%)
2. Bubble Island (3,750,322 = +988,290 / 26.4%)
3. Supermodel: The Game (1,696,375 = +903,826 / 53.3%)
4. Tiki Resort (3,680,788 = +740,891 / 20.1%)
5. Poker Blitz (750,144 = +731,298 / 97.5%)
6. Mafia Wars (25,264,431 = +618,697 / 2.5%)
7. Zoo Paradise (1,433,733 = +539,001 / 37.6%)
8. Towner (1,713,623 = +431,341 / 25.2%)
9. Keyboard Mash! (1,619,818 = +355,515 / 22.0%)
10. PetVille (20,236,962 = +345,272 / 1.7%)
Life & Style blogs
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'
Ex-head of MI6: 'We shouldn't kid ourselves that Russia is on a path to democracy'
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
- 5 Westboro Baptist Church couldn't picket Leonard Nimoy's funeral because they didn't know where it was
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 - £55000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior VMware Platform En...
£32000 per annum + pension, healthcare & 23 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A gro...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Software Application Developer (C# & ASP.Net, SQL S...
£27000 - £33000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End Devel...