Fastest growing Facebook games of the week:'Hotel City's recruitment drive
Social City continues to make real progress, having quickly established itself as one of Facebook's most played games, while
Zoo Paradise by CrowdStar and
Hotel City by Playfish both show promising growth.
Hotel City's acolytes increased at an astonishing rate, with 800,000 wannabe hotel bosses flocking through its doors in the past week.
The game is fresh out from Playfish, now the Facebook arm of video game giant Electronic Arts, and is a new twist on the business management genre made popular by Restaurant City and Zoo World.
Players construct and decorate hotels, choosing to offer either larger, more luxurious, and expensive rooms or smaller, cheaper rooms that can lead to a higher number of guests.
There are also other types of social function rooms available in order to increase guests' satisfaction levels and pander to their whims.
Facebook friends can be summoned to help clean up and maintain each player's property, but if volunteer help isn't available then workers have to be hired, representing a drain on the hotel's resources.
One is almost tempted to see Hotel City as a thinly-veiled metaphor for a Facebook game developer's business plan.
When players are able to generate big buck income from advertising hoardings and vending machines in and around the hotel project, we'll know that FacebookTycoon isn't too far away.
Top ten fastest growing Facebook games, Friday, April 2
1. Social City (10,905,836 = +1,842,269 / +20.3%)
2. Zoo Paradise (2,275,240 = +1,273,705 / +127.2%)
3. Bubble Island (4,397,582 = +927,725 / +26.7%)
4. Hotel City (935,242 = +812,641 / +662.8%)
5. FarmVille (82,847,179 = +689,247 / +0.8%)
6. Tiki Resort (4,134,716 = +641,776 / +18.4%)
7. PetVille (20,855,791 = +618,829 / +3.1%)
8. Texas HoldEm Poker (29,170,503 = +568,488 / +2.0%)
9. Ameba Pico (901,147 = +404,046 / +81.3%)
10. Pet Society (19,619,697 = +320,841 / +1.7%)
Numbers in brackets relate to total monthly users, the increase in monthly users, and the weekly percentage growth.
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Google Glass: First images taken on Google's new glasses appear on Twitter
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect was known to banned terror group and security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.