Film mag names the 50 greatest video game characters
Wednesday 02 June 2010
UK film magazine
Empire has revealed its top 50 video game characters. Heading the list is a bespectacled, laconic theoretical physicist, followed by a diminuitive Italian plumber and a sadistically malfunctioning computer system.
The alien-slaying, world-saving Gordon Freeman of the Half-Life games was modelled on employees at Valve Software for an authentic hero geek look, while dungaree-wearing Mario has spent nearly 30 years rescuing fair maidens from the hands of their brute captors.
SHODAN was the computer system supposed to act as custodian of a space ship in System Shock but, much like HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, exhibits sociopathic tendencies.
Though the System Shock games may not be wholly familiar to a generation of console gamers, its legacy continues thanks to the BioShock games and the delightfully rogue AI exhibited in the modern classic Portal.
Among others, cherished SEGA mascot Sonic The Hedgehog appears in 14th and the enduring Metal Gear Solid's Solid Snake in 19th. Pac-Man was 37th and Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 placed 41st.
Empire Magazine's Top 10 video game characters
01. Gordon Freeman ( Half-Life, Half-Life 2)
02. Mario ( Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land / World / 64 / Galaxy / Bros. Wii)
03. SHODAN ( System Shock, System Shock 2)
04. The Nameless One ( Planescape: Torment)
05. Lara Croft (The Tomb Raider series)
06. Link ( The Legend of Zelda series)
07. Guybrush Threepwood (The Monkey Island series)
09. The Lemmings ( Lemmings, Lemmings 2)
10. Sephiroth ( Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
Source: The 50 Greatest Video Game Characters at EmpireOnline.com
Co-creator Mark Gatiss dropped some very intriguing hints ahead of the BBC drama's return next year
London 'needs affordable housing'
Life & Style blogs
World’s largest chocolate manufacturer adds voice to warnings of 'potential cocoa shortage by 2020'
We can't easily shut down Russian webcam hackers, admits Information Commissioner
GTA 5, Xbox One review: Next gen Los Santos is beautiful chaos
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Google launches subscription service for the internet to replace ad revenue online
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
G20 summit: David Cameron warns Vladimir Putin that Russia's relationship with the West is at a 'fork in the road' over Ukraine
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 Lee Evans announces his retirement from comedy on The Jonathan Ross Show
- 3 Iggy Azalea responds to Eminem rape lyrics: 'I'm bored of old men threatening young women'
- 4 These grandmas smoking weed for the first time are wonderful
- 5 Pastafarian former porn star Asia Lemmon allowed to wear colander in driving licence photo
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Executive is required...
£37000 - £39000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: SQL Database Administrato...
£26000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Expanding creative studio requi...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Argyll Scott International: Senior Perl...