Film mag names the 50 greatest video game characters
Wednesday 02 June 2010
UK film magazine
Empire has revealed its top 50 video game characters. Heading the list is a bespectacled, laconic theoretical physicist, followed by a diminuitive Italian plumber and a sadistically malfunctioning computer system.
The alien-slaying, world-saving Gordon Freeman of the Half-Life games was modelled on employees at Valve Software for an authentic hero geek look, while dungaree-wearing Mario has spent nearly 30 years rescuing fair maidens from the hands of their brute captors.
SHODAN was the computer system supposed to act as custodian of a space ship in System Shock but, much like HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey, exhibits sociopathic tendencies.
Though the System Shock games may not be wholly familiar to a generation of console gamers, its legacy continues thanks to the BioShock games and the delightfully rogue AI exhibited in the modern classic Portal.
Among others, cherished SEGA mascot Sonic The Hedgehog appears in 14th and the enduring Metal Gear Solid's Solid Snake in 19th. Pac-Man was 37th and Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 placed 41st.
Empire Magazine's Top 10 video game characters
01. Gordon Freeman ( Half-Life, Half-Life 2)
02. Mario ( Donkey Kong, Super Mario Land / World / 64 / Galaxy / Bros. Wii)
03. SHODAN ( System Shock, System Shock 2)
04. The Nameless One ( Planescape: Torment)
05. Lara Croft (The Tomb Raider series)
06. Link ( The Legend of Zelda series)
07. Guybrush Threepwood (The Monkey Island series)
09. The Lemmings ( Lemmings, Lemmings 2)
10. Sephiroth ( Final Fantasy VII, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
Source: The 50 Greatest Video Game Characters at EmpireOnline.com
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan in new celebrity hacking attack weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£24000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Graduate BI Consultant (B...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Service Delivery Manager (Product Ma...
£50000 - £70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Cloud Product and Solutions Marketin...
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...