Gaming magazines of the 1980s in free-to-view retrospective
Saturday 10 July 2010
An English film company has released a web-only documentary about the early days of videogame magazines in the UK, plotting the rise and fall of the publishers behind Zzap!64, Crash, and others.
The Newsfield Years is a candid retrospective on several well-known and influential titles as told by publications' founders and writers, Roger Kean, Franco and Oliver Frey, and Matthew Uffindell.
Originally a mail-order company started up by a few friends in the early 1980s, Newsfield soon saw an opportunity for a vibrant, exciting videogaming magazine for the then cutting edge ZX Spectrum.
Their mail-order catalogue, Crash, was re-launched as a full-blown print magazine. By 1985, it was joined by Zzap!64 for the Commodore 64, and Amtix for the Amstrad CPC.
Bold young writers won popularity with readers but caused problems with advertisers and games manufacturers, such were the magazines' influence.
By the early 1990s many Newsfield titles were struggling, as big money publishers caught on to the trend, though one multi-format title survives to this day.
Originally released as a paid download in February, The Newsfield Years is now free to view at RetroFusion.org.uk/classic.
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Java De...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (Web Developer, MyS...
£55000 - £75000 per annum + 28 Days Holiday: Harrington Starr: Flex Developer ...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Core Ja...