Grand Theft Auto 5 has smashed seven Guinness World Records, it has been confirmed today.
The records, which include "best-selling video game in 24 hours" and "most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game", confirm the phenomenal success of Rockstar Games’ premier title.
GTA 5, which has already outsold its predecessor raced to $815m in sales within 24 hours of its release, and surpassed the $1bn-mark just two days later. As a result, the game shattered seven different world records from across the entertainment industry.
"GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture,” said Craig Glenday, the Guinness World Records Editor-in-Chief. “How exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
The online portion of the game has experienced some teething problems since it was launched last week, but it doesn’t seem to have halted the continuing success of the open-world crime epic.
A full list of the records broken by GTA 5 can be found below:
- Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
- Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame