GTA 5 wins 2013 Golden Joysticks' Game of the Year
BioShock creator Ken Levine honoured, alongside The Last of Us, Call of Duty and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Not content with record breaking sales and rave reviews, Grand Theft Auto V has now won its first (of what we presume will be many) game awards, winning Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks.
The 31-year-old gaming awards (which attracted a record 10 million votes this year) also honoured survival horror title The Last of Us with two awards for Best Storytelling and Best Newcomer. The PS3 title was one of the biggest launches of the year, and was critically lauded for its ambitious narrative and characterization.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was also put in the spotlight, picking up the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award. Levine, who is known for his work on legendary titles such as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2, led the team behind 2007 title BioShock; the highest rated first-person shooter game of all time (tied with Valve’s Half Life 2).
“The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,” said Levine “We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of.”
Other games honoured at the event included the forthcoming title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which beat out both the PS4 and the Xbox One to become this year’s ‘Most Wanted’; whilst the Call of Duty franchise was entered into the gaming Hall of Fame.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was honoured at the event for his lifetime of achievement to the gaming industry.
See below for a full list of winners from the event:
- Best Newcomer - The Last of Us
- Most Wanted - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Indie Game - Mark of the Ninja
- Best Visual Design - BioShock Infinite
- Best Multiplayer - Payday 2
- Best Gaming Moment - Far Cry 3 - The Definition of Insanity
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Innovation of the Year - Oculus Rift
- Best Storytelling - The Last of Us
- Best Online Game - World of Tanks
- Best Handheld Game - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- YouTube Gamer Award - Yogscast
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Hall of Fame - Activision: Call of Duty
- Lifetime Achievement - Ken Levine
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle to mark 81st anniversary of iconic photograph
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
£23500 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Essex based I.T solution provid...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: New exciting opportunity has ri...