GTA 5 wins 2013 Golden Joysticks' Game of the Year
BioShock creator Ken Levine honoured, alongside The Last of Us, Call of Duty and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Not content with record breaking sales and rave reviews, Grand Theft Auto V has now won its first (of what we presume will be many) game awards, winning Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks.
The 31-year-old gaming awards (which attracted a record 10 million votes this year) also honoured survival horror title The Last of Us with two awards for Best Storytelling and Best Newcomer. The PS3 title was one of the biggest launches of the year, and was critically lauded for its ambitious narrative and characterization.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was also put in the spotlight, picking up the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award. Levine, who is known for his work on legendary titles such as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2, led the team behind 2007 title BioShock; the highest rated first-person shooter game of all time (tied with Valve’s Half Life 2).
“The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,” said Levine “We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of.”
Other games honoured at the event included the forthcoming title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which beat out both the PS4 and the Xbox One to become this year’s ‘Most Wanted’; whilst the Call of Duty franchise was entered into the gaming Hall of Fame.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was honoured at the event for his lifetime of achievement to the gaming industry.
See below for a full list of winners from the event:
- Best Newcomer - The Last of Us
- Most Wanted - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Indie Game - Mark of the Ninja
- Best Visual Design - BioShock Infinite
- Best Multiplayer - Payday 2
- Best Gaming Moment - Far Cry 3 - The Definition of Insanity
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Innovation of the Year - Oculus Rift
- Best Storytelling - The Last of Us
- Best Online Game - World of Tanks
- Best Handheld Game - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- YouTube Gamer Award - Yogscast
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Hall of Fame - Activision: Call of Duty
- Lifetime Achievement - Ken Levine
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Software Tester is required t...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Support Analyst - 1st Line Helpde...
£21000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A smart software company locate...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Support Analyst - Wes...