GTA 5 wins 2013 Golden Joysticks' Game of the Year
BioShock creator Ken Levine honoured, alongside The Last of Us, Call of Duty and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Not content with record breaking sales and rave reviews, Grand Theft Auto V has now won its first (of what we presume will be many) game awards, winning Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks.
The 31-year-old gaming awards (which attracted a record 10 million votes this year) also honoured survival horror title The Last of Us with two awards for Best Storytelling and Best Newcomer. The PS3 title was one of the biggest launches of the year, and was critically lauded for its ambitious narrative and characterization.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was also put in the spotlight, picking up the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award. Levine, who is known for his work on legendary titles such as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2, led the team behind 2007 title BioShock; the highest rated first-person shooter game of all time (tied with Valve’s Half Life 2).
“The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,” said Levine “We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of.”
Other games honoured at the event included the forthcoming title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which beat out both the PS4 and the Xbox One to become this year’s ‘Most Wanted’; whilst the Call of Duty franchise was entered into the gaming Hall of Fame.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was honoured at the event for his lifetime of achievement to the gaming industry.
See below for a full list of winners from the event:
- Best Newcomer - The Last of Us
- Most Wanted - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Indie Game - Mark of the Ninja
- Best Visual Design - BioShock Infinite
- Best Multiplayer - Payday 2
- Best Gaming Moment - Far Cry 3 - The Definition of Insanity
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Innovation of the Year - Oculus Rift
- Best Storytelling - The Last of Us
- Best Online Game - World of Tanks
- Best Handheld Game - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- YouTube Gamer Award - Yogscast
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Hall of Fame - Activision: Call of Duty
- Lifetime Achievement - Ken Levine
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The leading provider of Employee Managem...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Kent based design consulta...
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking to work for an ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This role's responsibility also include operat...