GTA 5 wins 2013 Golden Joysticks' Game of the Year
BioShock creator Ken Levine honoured, alongside The Last of Us, Call of Duty and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Not content with record breaking sales and rave reviews, Grand Theft Auto V has now won its first (of what we presume will be many) game awards, winning Game of the Year at the Golden Joysticks.
The 31-year-old gaming awards (which attracted a record 10 million votes this year) also honoured survival horror title The Last of Us with two awards for Best Storytelling and Best Newcomer. The PS3 title was one of the biggest launches of the year, and was critically lauded for its ambitious narrative and characterization.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was also put in the spotlight, picking up the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award. Levine, who is known for his work on legendary titles such as Thief: The Dark Project and System Shock 2, led the team behind 2007 title BioShock; the highest rated first-person shooter game of all time (tied with Valve’s Half Life 2).
“The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,” said Levine “We're all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of.”
Other games honoured at the event included the forthcoming title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt which beat out both the PS4 and the Xbox One to become this year’s ‘Most Wanted’; whilst the Call of Duty franchise was entered into the gaming Hall of Fame.
BioShock creator Ken Levine was honoured at the event for his lifetime of achievement to the gaming industry.
See below for a full list of winners from the event:
- Best Newcomer - The Last of Us
- Most Wanted - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Indie Game - Mark of the Ninja
- Best Visual Design - BioShock Infinite
- Best Multiplayer - Payday 2
- Best Gaming Moment - Far Cry 3 - The Definition of Insanity
- Studio of the Year - Naughty Dog
- Innovation of the Year - Oculus Rift
- Best Storytelling - The Last of Us
- Best Online Game - World of Tanks
- Best Handheld Game - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
- YouTube Gamer Award - Yogscast
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Game of the Year - Grand Theft Auto V
- Hall of Fame - Activision: Call of Duty
- Lifetime Achievement - Ken Levine
Life & Style blogs
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£50k - 60k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We have an exciting Seni...
£50k - 70k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We have an exciting Seni...
£32000 - £34000 per annum + Uncapped OTE £65,000 : h2 Recruit Ltd: Looking for...
£28000 - £31000 per annum + Bonus + Progression: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you looki...