Google doodle pays tribute to Gagarin mission
Tuesday 12 April 2011
Google paid tribute to Russia's Yuri Gagarin on Tuesday, replacing the logo on its homepage with an image of the first man in space and a rocket that a visitor can launch with a cursor.
Google replaced the first 'O' in the company's name with a picture of Gagarin in his helmet and substituted a globe for the second 'O' in its name.
A rocket perched on the globe takes off in a puff of smoke and soars into the sky when a visitor to the page places the cursor on the Google logo.
Gagarin blasted off in his Vostok rocket on April 12, 1961 from the Soviet republic of Kazakhstan.
The Mountain View, California-based Google frequently changes the colorful logo on its famously spartan home page to mark anniversaries or significant events or pay tribute to artists, scientists, statesmen and others.
Life & Style blogs
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The leading provider of Employee Managem...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Kent based design consulta...
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking to work for an ...