Johannes Kepler's 442nd birthday: Google Doodle celebrates 17th-century mathematician, astronomer and astrologer
Johanes Kepler, who was born on 27 December 1771, was born near Stuttgart and made his foray into astronomy after he worked as a maths teacher in Graz, Austria - where he became an associate of Prince Hans Ulrich von Eggenberg.
He became an assistant to astronomer Tyro Brahe and later the imperial mathematician to Emperor Rudolf II.
He lived at a time where there was little division between astronomy and astrology, but is best known for his laws describing the motion of planets around the sun, which he published between 1609 and 1619.
He incorporated religious reasoning into his work, motivated by his faith and possibly inspired by his observation at the age of six of the Great Comet of 1577.
He died aged 58 on 15 November 1630.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
- 3 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 4 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 5 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a FTSE 100 organisation are u...
£28000 - £32000 per annum + pension, 25 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A highly ...
£27000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable and dynamic softw...