Katy Perry becomes more popular than Britney Spears on Twitter
Monday 08 August 2011
It’s been a big week of changes in the microblogging world with Katy Perry leaping over Britney Spears, Xie Na powering past Li Bingbing and Taylor Swift overtaking Ashton Kutcher in the most-followed microblogger charts.
According to social media tracker Famecount, Katy Perry added just over 200,000 followers to her account during the week putting her follower total at 8.95 million. Britney Spears gained less than 130,000 Twitter users during the same week, resulting in her ceding fourth place to Katy Perry.
Chinese actress Xie Na added close to 270,000 followers and moved back up into sixth place on Sina’s most-followed microbloggers chart with a total of 7.74 million fans. She easily ousted fellow Chinese actress Li Bingbing, whose fan count grew by just under 210,000 to reach 7.69 million during the same period.
While fans were busy pressing “Follow,” Twitter’s elite were posting about the Teen Choice Awards (TCA).
Justin Bieber told his followers “[I’m] excited to see the fans and friends at the TCA's today. LEGGO!”, Katy Perry posted “Hey #TCA, thank you for the nominations! @KathyBethTerry and I wish we could be there tonight. Have a great show!”, Kim Kardashian said “We won a Teen Choice Award for best Variety tv show! Thanks to everyone who voted! Let's go surfing!!!” and Taylor Swift revealed, “[I’m] In the car headed to the Teen Choice Awards!”
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (12,392,618 followers)
- Justin Bieber (11,623,574)
- Barack Obama (9,539,541)
- Katy Perry (8,952,865)
- Britney Spears (8,856,160)
- Kim Kardashian (8,824,808)
- Shakira (7,467,782)
- Taylor Swift (7,375,134)
- Ashton Kutcher (7,357,371)
- Ellen DeGeneres (7,237,488)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (10,406,595 followers)
- Dee Hsu (9,447,218)
- Kevin Tsai (8,369,417)
- Zhao Wei (7,957,974)
- Jung Kyung Ho (7,874,513)
- Xie Na (7,738,380)
- Li Bingbing (7,690,522)
- Yang Mi (7,658,899)
- Chen Kun (7,284,730)
- Huang Jianxiang (6,775,993)
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Graduate UI Application Developer - ...