Katy Perry becomes more popular than Britney Spears on Twitter
It’s been a big week of changes in the microblogging world with Katy Perry leaping over Britney Spears, Xie Na powering past Li Bingbing and Taylor Swift overtaking Ashton Kutcher in the most-followed microblogger charts.
According to social media tracker Famecount, Katy Perry added just over 200,000 followers to her account during the week putting her follower total at 8.95 million. Britney Spears gained less than 130,000 Twitter users during the same week, resulting in her ceding fourth place to Katy Perry.
Chinese actress Xie Na added close to 270,000 followers and moved back up into sixth place on Sina’s most-followed microbloggers chart with a total of 7.74 million fans. She easily ousted fellow Chinese actress Li Bingbing, whose fan count grew by just under 210,000 to reach 7.69 million during the same period.
While fans were busy pressing “Follow,” Twitter’s elite were posting about the Teen Choice Awards (TCA).
Justin Bieber told his followers “[I’m] excited to see the fans and friends at the TCA's today. LEGGO!”, Katy Perry posted “Hey #TCA, thank you for the nominations! @KathyBethTerry and I wish we could be there tonight. Have a great show!”, Kim Kardashian said “We won a Teen Choice Award for best Variety tv show! Thanks to everyone who voted! Let's go surfing!!!” and Taylor Swift revealed, “[I’m] In the car headed to the Teen Choice Awards!”
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (12,392,618 followers)
- Justin Bieber (11,623,574)
- Barack Obama (9,539,541)
- Katy Perry (8,952,865)
- Britney Spears (8,856,160)
- Kim Kardashian (8,824,808)
- Shakira (7,467,782)
- Taylor Swift (7,375,134)
- Ashton Kutcher (7,357,371)
- Ellen DeGeneres (7,237,488)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (10,406,595 followers)
- Dee Hsu (9,447,218)
- Kevin Tsai (8,369,417)
- Zhao Wei (7,957,974)
- Jung Kyung Ho (7,874,513)
- Xie Na (7,738,380)
- Li Bingbing (7,690,522)
- Yang Mi (7,658,899)
- Chen Kun (7,284,730)
- Huang Jianxiang (6,775,993)
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: C++ Python Developer - Banking - London - Up to £...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£40000 - £47000 per annum + BENEFITS : Progressive Recruitment: Sap Consultant...
£45000 - £60000 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: SAP PP functional consulta...