Kevin Tsai hits 7 million fans as Sina plans English-language microblogging platform
Monday 06 June 2011
This week, Taiwanese TV host Kevin Tsai surpassed the 7 million followers milestone, becoming one of only three microbloggers on China's Sina to boast more than seven million fans.
Taiwanese co-host Dee Hsu also spent the week climbing up the ranks of the most followed microbloggers list.
The actress, singer and host overtook American TV personality Kim Kardashian to become the sixth most followed microblogger on the charts. Dee Hsu's fan count grew to 7.781 million while Kardashian's grew to 7.779 million followers during the week.
Interesting fact: According to Chinese technology blog TechWeb, Sina is planning to launch an English-language version of its microblogging site Weibo, putting it in direct competition with Twitter. The microblogging platform is preparing to enter the US market in around two to three months, says TechWeb.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (10,756,911 followers)
- Justin Bieber (10,242,446)
- Barack Obama (8,477,796)
- Britney Spears (8,136,222)
- Kim Kardashian (7,779,273)
- Katy Perry (7,732,678)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,901,207)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,820,990)
- Taylor Swift (6,670,784)
- Shakira (6,495,414)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (8,675,482 followers)
- Dee Hsu (7,781,301)
- Kevin Tsai (7,027,035)
- Zhao Wei (6,767,397)
- Jung Kyung Ho (6,397,453)
- Xie Na (6,293,076)
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT provider for the educat...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leader in the e-cigarette ...
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With extensive experience and a...