Kevin Tsai hits 7 million fans as Sina plans English-language microblogging platform
Monday 06 June 2011
This week, Taiwanese TV host Kevin Tsai surpassed the 7 million followers milestone, becoming one of only three microbloggers on China's Sina to boast more than seven million fans.
Taiwanese co-host Dee Hsu also spent the week climbing up the ranks of the most followed microbloggers list.
The actress, singer and host overtook American TV personality Kim Kardashian to become the sixth most followed microblogger on the charts. Dee Hsu's fan count grew to 7.781 million while Kardashian's grew to 7.779 million followers during the week.
Interesting fact: According to Chinese technology blog TechWeb, Sina is planning to launch an English-language version of its microblogging site Weibo, putting it in direct competition with Twitter. The microblogging platform is preparing to enter the US market in around two to three months, says TechWeb.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (10,756,911 followers)
- Justin Bieber (10,242,446)
- Barack Obama (8,477,796)
- Britney Spears (8,136,222)
- Kim Kardashian (7,779,273)
- Katy Perry (7,732,678)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,901,207)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,820,990)
- Taylor Swift (6,670,784)
- Shakira (6,495,414)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (8,675,482 followers)
- Dee Hsu (7,781,301)
- Kevin Tsai (7,027,035)
- Zhao Wei (6,767,397)
- Jung Kyung Ho (6,397,453)
- Xie Na (6,293,076)
Life & Style blogs
Why you should never make assumptions about people with autism
People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The leading provider of Employee Managem...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Kent based design consulta...
£25000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking to work for an ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This role's responsibility also include operat...