Lady Gaga tours Australia as Obama talks campaign with his 9 million followers
Monday 11 July 2011
More than nine million people are now actively following American President Barack Obama on Twitter.
His microblogging account is the fourth most followed in the world (behind Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber and Sina's Yao Chen).
Officials running President Barack Obama's Twitter feed are rousing up support for his 2012 re-election campaign tweeting, "Our challenge for you: Bring 50 new people into this campaign for President Obama's 50th birthday. Are you game? http://t.co/AdcKlMN"
Twitter's most followed tweeter Lady Gaga is keeping fans up to date with her touring plans in Sydney, Australia. The songstress let her fans know she is "So excited to perform on Australia's TV Show 'A Current Affair' with Tracy Grimshaw. It's on Channel 9 at 6:30pm tonight so don't miss it! x"
Ellen DeGeneres surpassed the 7 million followers milestone this week, but was overtaken by South Korean actor Jung Kyung Ho, whose follower count rocketed past 7.1 million followers during the same period.
Chinese actress Xie Na is making her way up the ranks of most followed microbloggers too. Her 6.981 million follower count was just enough to put her ahead of Colombian singer Shakira, who had 6.980 million followers to her name.
Interesting fact: Weibo's notable list of English-speaking users now includes British band Radiohead, singer Sean Kingston, Microsoft founder Bill Gates and actor Tom Cruise.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga ( 11,543,798 followers)
- Justin Bieber ( 10,937,256)
- Barack Obama ( 9,078,503)
- Britney Spears ( 8,486,587)
- Katy Perry ( 8,272,244)
- Kim Kardashian ( 8,243,924)
- Ashton Kutcher ( 7,144,058)
- Ellen DeGeneres ( 7,016,281)
- Taylor Swift ( 6,993,972)
- Shakira ( 6,980,156)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (9,562,908 followers)
- Dee Hsu (8,682,462)
- Kevin Tsai (7,753,335)
- Zhao Wei (7,339,265)
- Jung Kyung Ho (7,123,491)
- Xie Na (6,981,048)
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 BBC’s new Game of Thrones slayer 'The Last Kingdom' relies on Saxon appeal, creators say
- 5 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£300 - £301 per day + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: The successful can...
£23000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Data Analyst vacan...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: I am interested in speaking to Data Migr...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Manager - (Housin...