Most followed microbloggers: Lady Gaga breaks 8 million fan milestone
Monday 07 February 2011
The most popular people on social networking sites Twitter and Weibo recorded on February 7.
American pop singer Lady Gaga retains her position as the most followed microblogger on the web. The fashion forward pop star has gained just over 90,000 fans during the week, bringing her total number of fans to more than 8 million.
Teenage pop singer Justin Bieber also reached a milestone during the week, breaking the 7 million fan barrier.
Chinese actress Yao Chen is surging past her Western microblogging counterparts. With more than 5.56 million fans, she is now followed by more people than talk show host Oprah Winfrey and country music singer Taylor Swift.
Just 100,000 fans separate Taiwanese actress and TV host Dee Hsu (Xi?o S) and Oprah Winfrey.
In June 2010, Twitter was estimated to have 190 million visitors per month while Weibo is reported to have reached 50 million registered users in October 2010.
Interesting fact: reports suggest China is blocking the word "Egypt" on Weibo, while Google set up a voice-to-tweet service on Twitter that internetless users in Egypt can use to keep followers informed of their news.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga with 8,038,432 followers
- Justin Bieber with 7,065,331 followers
- Britney Spears with 6,771,812 followers
- Barack Obama with 6,552,600 followers
- Ashton Kutcher with 6,307,370 followers
- Kim Kardashian with 6,189,656 followers
- Ellen DeGeneres with 5,832,541 followers
- Katy Perry with 5,621,358 followers
- Taylor Swift with 5,220,576 followers
- Oprah Winfrey with 5,029,040 followers
Most popular people on Sina's Microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen with 5,561,590 followers
- Xi?o S with 4,926,156 followers
- Zhao Wei with 4,714,336 followers
- Cai Kang Yong with 4,369,637 followers
- Xiena with 3,997,978 followers
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Anti-depressants can change how the brain works in just hours
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
The 'Angelina Jolie effect': Her mastectomy revelation doubled NHS breast cancer testing referrals
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£24000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Graduate BI Consultant (B...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Service Delivery Manager (Product Ma...
£50000 - £70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Cloud Product and Solutions Marketin...
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...