Most followed microbloggers tweet up and sign off for US Independence Day
Monday 04 July 2011
US microbloggers were getting an early start on Independence Day celebrations with patriotic posts.
Ashton Kutcher announced he was switching off for the day, tweeting "Everyone have an amazing 4th! I'm taking a digital hiatus. independence day unplugged."
Justin Bieber marked the occasion with the hashtag "#holidayweekend" while Katy Perry used the hashtag "#Americafuckyeah" to wish her followers a happy Fourth of July.
Country music darling Taylor Swift shared the news that she would be postponing her Louisville show to October 11 via her Twitter account.
Taiwanese actress Dee Hsu quietly climbed up the most followed bloggers ladder, replacing Britney Spears as the fifth most popular microblogger around the globe.
South Korean actor Jung Kyung Ho also moved up the charts, pushing American singer Taylor Swift out of 13th place on the global microblogging chart.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (11,380,510 followers)
- Justin Bieber (10,772,862)
- Barack Obama (8,944,587)
- Britney Spears (8,406,639)
- Katy Perry (8,154,218)
- Kim Kardashian (8,121,642)
- Ashton Kutcher (7,084,471)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,973,960)
- Taylor Swift (6,919,170)
- Shakira (6,886,598)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (9,392,450 followers)
- Dee Hsu (8,510,044)
- Kevin Tsai (7,613,616)
- Zhao Wei (7,224,514)
- Jung Kyung Ho (6,970,864)
- Xie Na (6,866,288)
Life & Style blogs
Why it matters 26 million people have changed their Facebook profile picture to a rainbow flag
YouTube star Loey Lane hits back at hateful comments about ‘fat girls in bikinis’ and how plus-size women promote obesity
Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year, says study
The age of inactivity: How laziness is killing us
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£25000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With extensive experience and a...
£34000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With extensive experience and a...
£20000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for an excellent opport...
£16000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established name in IT Ser...