Musicians gain Facebook fans before VMAs
Tuesday 16 August 2011
Ahead of MTV's Video Music Awards musicians have been drumming up support for themselves by asking fans on Facebook to vote for them.
On August 28 the annual MTV Video Music Awards, commonly known as the VMAs, will honor the best in music videos.
Ahead of the awards ceremony musicians have been using their Facebook pages to ask fans to vote for them via the MTV site. This drive to gain votes is most likely the reason why, according to Famecount.com, the majority of Facebook pages with the biggest increase in fans over the past week belonged to musicians.
The data from social media analysts shows that Pink gained the most fans over the week prior to August 16 with 1,683,303 new Facebook fans. The closest musician to Pink was Nicki Minaj with 870,522 fans followed AC/DC with 717,759 fans - though the inclusion of the veteran rockers was not directly related to the awards.
The popularity of the awards among Facebook users is illustrated by Pink's post regarding the VMAs, which so far has attracted nearly 10,000 ‘likes' alone.
Artist Rihanna, in fifth place this week, is consistently popular on Facebook and is second only to Eminem in terms of total fans on the social networking site, although despite being nominated for several awards for her collaborations in videos with Kanye West and Eminem the star did not mention the awards on her Facebook page.
Interestingly Adele, whose "Rolling in the Deep" is nominated for Best Pop Video, Best Female Video, and Best Art Direction Video, among others, does not appear in the top ten pages with the biggest increase in fans over the past week - despite the fact that she did post about the awards on Facebook.
The top ten Facebook pages with the largest increase in fans over the past week, according to data from Famecount.com, are:
01. Pink (+1,683,303 fans this week)
02. Leo Messi (+1,035,512 fans this week)
03. Nicki Minaj (+870,522 fans this week)
04. AC/DC (+717,759 fans this week) Not in VMAs but recently re-released 'Iron Man 2' soundtrack
05. Rihanna (+685,166 fans this week)
06. Facebook (+639,498 fans this week)
07. The Smurfs (+635,302 fans this week)
08. Michael Jackson (+620,939 fans this week)
09. Harry Potter (+609,154 fans this week)
10. Tercer Cielo (+601,285 fans this week) not in the VMAs
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
SAG Awards 2015: Best and worst gowns on the red carpet
Nike Back to the Future style self-lacing shoes 'will arrive in 2015'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Chilling drone footage captures Auschwitz ahead of 70th anniversary of liberation
- 5 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in providing ...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...
£20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...