BlackBerry 10 smartphone launched
BlackBerry reveals its new operating system to the world today
The new BlackBerry 10 phone was launched today in a series of co-ordinated events around the globe.
The new handset, which was originally due to launch last autumn, but was set back, will have a new operating system, designed by parent company Research in Motion - which is now being re-branded under the BlackBerry brand.
The z10 will be available from tomorrow in the UK, but not in US until February or March.
A prototype for the phone made a brief appearance back in May last year, when RIM encouraged developers to build apps for the new operating system. As a result, it will be populated with ready-made apps including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn The Independent app and an Absolute Radio app.
In its latest earnings report, the company revealed a revenue decline of 47 per cent, compared with the previous year, but share price has been rising as the launch draws near.
Key features include:
- Peek into the BlackBerry Hub – A new mobile computing paradigm where what matters to customers is always one swipe away
- Flow – Delivers total integration across all apps, removing the barriers between applications that slow you down
- Keyboard – Understands and adapts to customers, so they can type faster and more accurately
- BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger) – Allows customers to share anything with the people that matter to them in an instant
- BlackBerry® Balance™ technology – Protects what is important to customers
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Regin: Newly uncovered malicious software snooping since 2008 'was developed by a nation state'
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Kim Kardashian recreates iconic Jean-Paul Goude naked 'Champagne Incident' photo
Henri de Toulouse Lautrec: Google celebrates 150th anniversary of French artist's birth
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 Universities aren't working us hard enough, say undergraduates
- 2 Lego letter from the 1970s still offers a powerful message to parents 40 years later
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support organisation focuses on ...
£26000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Support Analyst / IT Support Analys...
£30 per hour: Ashdown Group: An industry leading and well established business...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...