BlackBerry 10 smartphone launched
BlackBerry reveals its new operating system to the world today
The new BlackBerry 10 phone was launched today in a series of co-ordinated events around the globe.
The new handset, which was originally due to launch last autumn, but was set back, will have a new operating system, designed by parent company Research in Motion - which is now being re-branded under the BlackBerry brand.
The z10 will be available from tomorrow in the UK, but not in US until February or March.
A prototype for the phone made a brief appearance back in May last year, when RIM encouraged developers to build apps for the new operating system. As a result, it will be populated with ready-made apps including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn The Independent app and an Absolute Radio app.
In its latest earnings report, the company revealed a revenue decline of 47 per cent, compared with the previous year, but share price has been rising as the launch draws near.
Key features include:
- Peek into the BlackBerry Hub – A new mobile computing paradigm where what matters to customers is always one swipe away
- Flow – Delivers total integration across all apps, removing the barriers between applications that slow you down
- Keyboard – Understands and adapts to customers, so they can type faster and more accurately
- BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger) – Allows customers to share anything with the people that matter to them in an instant
- BlackBerry® Balance™ technology – Protects what is important to customers
Life & Style blogs
The high-powered dream team trying to create a stiletto shoe as comfy as a trainer
Apple MacBook review: preposterously thin and extravagantly attractive, this is the best-designed laptop Apple has ever made
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
UK skin cancer statistics 'shocking' as sun-worshippers ignore the dangers of exposure
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 1 Which country would be hardest to invade?
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 5 Royal baby girl born: Duchess of Cambridge's second child will be a princess thanks to Queen
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As your knowledge grows you wil...
£40000 - £48000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Engineer - Linux ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Cloud ...