Google Doodle celebrates fancy footwork of Brazilian footballer Leonidas da Silva
Today's Google Doodle features a frame-by-frame sketch of Brazilian footballer Leonidas da Silva performing a 'bicycle kick' on what would have been his 100th birthday.
Born in Rio de Janeiro in 1913, the player was seen as the inventor of the bicycle kick after first using it in a 1932 match between his club Bonsucesso and Carioca. The unusual move caught on and was most notably used during his time playing for São Paulo in a 8-0 victory over Juventus.
He played for Brazil's national team 19 times, scoring 21 goals and continued to delight spectators with his acrobatic displays on the pitch until his retirement from the game in 1950.
In his later years he managed São Paulo before quitting football to become a radio reporter. He died in 2004 after complications arising from Alzheimer's disease.
Life & Style blogs
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
£23500 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Essex based I.T solution provid...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: New exciting opportunity has ri...