Google Doodle celebrates the 112th birthday of Frank Zamboni, the man who invented the ice resurfacing machine
Wednesday 16 January 2013
Google's latest interactive doodle marks the 112th birthday of Frank Zamboni, the man who invented the ice resurfacing machine.
The search engine giant celebrated the inventor with a mini-game that sees users controlling the Zamboni machine.
An ice resurfacer is used to clean and smooth the surface of an ice sheet, usually on an ice rink, the machine dramatically reduced the time it took to clean ice.
Zamboni, who died from cancer aged 87 in 1988, produced his revolutionary ice resurface machine in 1949 and his company has sold 10,000 units since.
The playable doodle involves controlling a Zamboni machine after a number of animated skaters depart from a rink.
Players can collect coffee pots, ice creams and fuel cans to increase petrol levels - there are also banana peels and mystery objects.
Some players of the game are already boasting high scores of more than 1,000 points on social networking sites.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Graduate UI Application Developer - ...