Photography: The Ayatollah of Instagram
He may have a penchant for unusual headwear and wire-rimmed specs but it's still a surprise to find the Grand Ayatollah Khamenei staring out at you on Instagram).
The Supreme Leader, 73, isn't exactly apostolic in his fondness for social media. Maybe by joining the photo-sharing site he's just trying to imitate Barack Obama, then, who joined it in March. If so, he has a long walk ahead of him.
The Ayatollah's pictures form a rather uninspiring tableau: we have him praying on one, and glad-handing on the other three, and the lighting's off on them all. So far, they have drawn 48 "likes" apiece. Obama's last picture drew 33,574.
Life & Style blogs
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Elif Shafak: Turkish author warns against rise of British nationalism
Most people think legal tax avoidance is just as wrong as illegal tax evasion, poll suggests
Nigel Farage promises Ukip will not 'stigmatise' would-be migrants – and says he wants 'everyone to speak the same language'
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Kate Moss: Previously unpublished nude photo revealed by Mert and Marcus
- 3 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 4 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 5 Bad Jews poster 'censored' on London Tube
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A long-established, technology rich ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing experience-led technology co...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has now arisen for a Sale...