One martini whisperer, 17 cheese investors, 74 Elvis impersonators: LinkedIn surpasses 100 million users
Tuesday 22 March 2011
On March 22, professional networking site
LinkedIn announced on its blog that it had reached the milestone of over 100 million users.
The company was founded in 2002 and serves as a networking site for professionals across a number of industries where members can connect with others, search for job listings and ask for introductions.
To celebrate reaching 100 million members, the company compiled an infographic detailing some interesting, and some bizarre, information about the company.
According to the infographic:
- 56% of all of the site's members in 2010 were from outside of the United States
- The fastest growing countries on the site in 2010 were Brazil (428%), Mexico (178%), India (76%) and France (72%)
- The most popular overall hours for LinkedIn activity are from 9am - 5pm Pacific Time (the average working day)
- 73 percent of Fortune 100 companies use LinkedIn hiring solutions
- The most active companies on the site are eBay, EMC², Campbell's, Apple, Amazon.com and Cisco
More unusually, of the 100 million members, 997,000 were teachers, 1,030 were chocolatiers, 74 were Elvis tribute artists and one was a '"martini whisperer."
Other unusual statistics are: if 100 million business cards were placed in a vertical pile it would tower at around 29,999.94 meters (Mount Everest is 8,848 meters); and perhaps strangest of all, of the 17,800,000 members in groups, 17 are in the (serious) Canadian group called "Invest in Cheese."
The full LinkedIn info graphic is available to view at: http://blog.linkedin.com/100million/
In comparison, networking site Viadeo, which used to be chiefly European, now boasts around 35 million members across nine countries throughout North America (around 5 million), South America (11.3 million) and Asia (5.5 million).
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£30 per hour: Ashdown Group: An industry leading and well established business...
£20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly reputable business is looking to rec...