Holiday promotions coupled with enticing new content saw sales boosts for both Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Europa Universalis III, while titles such as The Sims 3: Late Night and Grand Theft Auto IV also benefited from discounts by January 3.
Bad Company 2 was Steam's number one revenue generator for the week, sales of the March 2010 game surging due to price cuts during the site's holiday sale and renewed interest as a result of the December 18 Vietnam-themed expansion.
Expansion packs for Europa Universalis III came in at positions two and four on GamersGate, December 2010's Divine Wind being the latest, and Heir To The Throne a year older. The game itself, bundled with the first two packs, also appears further down in tenth place.
Legacy titles Baldur's Gate 2, the Broken Sword trilogy, and the third Age of Wonders game feature on Good Old Games. The Baldur's Gate descendant, Neverwinter Nights 2, crops up on the Steam chart.
steampowered.com - general gaming and own label)
1) Battlefield: Bad Company 2
2) Crysis Maximum Edition
3) Grand Theft Auto IV
4) Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
5) Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
direct2drive.com - general gaming)
1) Medal of Honor
2) The Sims 3 Late Night Expansion Pack
3) DC Universe Online
4) Sid Meier's Civilization V
5) Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
Good Old Games (
gog.com - classics)
1) Baldur's Gate 2 Complete
2) Broken Sword: Director's Cut
3) Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
4) Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon
5) Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
gamersgate.com - general gaming and own label)
2) Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind
3) Hearts of Iron III: Semper Fi
4) Victoria II
5) Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
impulsedriven.com - strategy specialists)
1) Elemental: War of Magic
2) Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity
3) Defense Grid Gold
4) Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy expansion
5) Master of Orion III
Data collected January 3
Steam chart based on revenue, not units.