FEAR 3's imaginative take on the modern shooter sees it to the top of the Steam chart and in at 5 on Direct2Drive, while a clutch of older titles are reinvigorated by sale promotions.
FEAR 3 blends first person shooting with supernatural scares, sending one gun-toting special forces veteran on a mission in the company of a bloodthirsty poltergeist, his brother.
A distinct multiplayer mixes things up, replacing conventional deathmatch with four modes honed for four players: Contradictions (ie. Call of Duty's zombies or Gears of War's horde), Soul Survivor and Soul King (playground tag turned up to 11), and the reasonably self-explanatory F***ing Run.
Chart positions elsewhere are occupied by a good amount of weekend or summer sale offers.
Good Old Games have the original Fallout and Fallout 2 among their wares, reduced to $2.99 until July 4.
Divinity II and Homefront bolster the Steam chart, Borderlands: Game of the Year (including all DLC) shoots to second on D2D, and GamersGate's chart is a parade of recent hits: Just Cause 2, Batman, and BulletStorm.
1) F.E.A.R. 3
3) Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
4) Alice: Madness Returns
*Based on revenue, not units sold
1) Crysis 2
2) Borderlands Game of the Year Edition
3) Sid Meier's Civilization V
4) The Witcher 2
5) F.E.A.R. 3
1) Just Cause 2
2) Hearts of Iron III: For the Motherland
3) Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
5) Europa Universalis III Chronicles
1) Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity
2) Galactic Civilizations II - Ultimate Edition
3) Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale
4) Space Pirates and Zombies
5) Dungeon Siege III
Good Old Games (
1) Fallout 2
3) Freespace 2
4) Dungeon Keeper
5) Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri