This week Sina's top microbloggers have been surging past some of Twitter's most followed users, according to figures from social networking sites Twitter and Weibo recorded on March 29.
Chinese actress and pop singer Zhao Wei has added 116,342 fans to her grand total, helping her slide past American singer Taylor Swift.
Chinese TV host Kevin Tsai aka Cai Kang Yong has edged past American talk show host Oprah Winfrey with 5.5 million fans to her 5.4 million.
China's top Weibo user, Yao Chen, has broken the 7 million fan barrier this week and is catching up to Barack Obama and Britney Spears, both of whom recently surpassed the 7 million fan mark on Twitter.
In other Sina milestones, Chinese actress and singer Dee Hsu (stage name Xi?o S) has collected more than six million followers and fellow actress Xie Na has surpassed five million followers.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 80 million registered users in January 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter according to Listorious:
- Lady Gaga (8,981,151 followers)
- Justin Bieber - (8,356,500)
- Britney Spears - (7,210,597)
- Barack Obama - (7,135,247)
- Kim Kardashian - (6,881,214)
- Ashton Kutcher - (6,481,882)
- Katy Perry - (6,374,814)
- Ellen DeGeneres - (6,245,009)
- Taylor Swift - (5,728,552)
- Oprah Winfrey - (5,452,355)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (7,115,281 followers)
- Xi?o S (6,169,226)
- Zhao Wei (5,798,621)
- Cai Kang Yong (5,504,890)
- Xie Na (5,044,072)