StumbleUpon top 5 rated websites: web alternatives to desktop software, the rave toilet
A look at this week's top-rated websites from StumbleUpon, recorded on August 6.
This week's selection includes an article about 15 free web-based programs that replace popular desktop computer software, a GIF animation of a basketball mascot falling flat onto his face, a picture of birds skateboarding in a sink, photos of Scarlett Johansson taken by Sheryl Nields, and an image and video showing what happens when you flush 32 glow sticks down a toilet.
1. 15 Web Alternatives to Popular Desktop Software
3. oh hai
4. Scarlett Johansson by Sheryl Nields - Touchpuppet
5. The Rave Toilet: Who Knew Flushing Glow Sticks Would Be This Awesome?
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Facial hair: Cat beards and the purrrsuit of excellence
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
James Pembroke: The man who's eaten everywhere
Xbox One vs PlayStation 4: Why Microsoft's console name game just doesn't add up
The 10 Best salt and pepper sets
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.