Top 10 YouTube gaming videos of the week: 'Halo Reach,' 'StarCraft II,' and the Blizzard RealID spoof
Thursday 15 July 2010
Longstanding comedy web series Red vs Blue takes the hard-nut space soldiers of the
Halo games and gives them a voice - sarcastic, juvenile, gung-ho, or cowardly as it may be. The latest Red vs Blue episode was made as a tribute to
Halo creators Bungie and became the most viewed gaming video on YouTube for the week ending Tuesday, July 13.
The video was released in celebration of Bungie's own 'Bungie Day,' July 7. This year, the Red vs Blue tribute episode takes place in a the prototypical Halo level, Blood Gulch, in lead up to Reach's release on September 14.
The video highlights some changes made for the area's inclusion in Halo: Reach, along with new abilities such as augmented armor, assassination moves, decoy holograms, a missile-launching transport, and a tease of Blood Gulch's extended play area.
The StarCraft strategy games feature in four of the week's most-watched videos as interest increases prior to the release of StarCraft II on July 27.
The APM (actions per minute) demonstration shows how lightning-fast keyboard control is central to the success of Korean champion gamers in StarCraft and Warcraft III (the predecessor to World of Warcraft).
The Cool vs MakaPrime and IdrA vs Sen videos both offer replays of match-ups between top StarCraft II players, and both come with English-language commentary for those that want some sort of guide as to the on-screen action.
Elsewhere, the now retracted plans to replace anonymous ID with real first and surnames on the World of Warcraft and StarCraft II forums are given a royal ribbing in 'Blizzard Real ID Troll.'
The young nightclubber featuring in the TV interview is known as Dimitri, already famous in Russia and Spain, and the Real ID controversy has ensured his notoriety among the WoW and StarCraft communities.
The original video is nearly two years old and contains a victorious reappearance from Dimitri at the end of the clip. YouTube user 4gfdy uploaded one of the most viewed copies under the title ????? ?????? ?????? (?????? ??????!!!) (Very bad music - full version).
1) Red vs Blue: Halo 'Deja View' - 405,850 total views
2) Korean Gamers: APM Demonstration - 359,572 total views
3) Modern Warfare 2: EZ Mode Nukes - 355,991 total views
4) Blizzard Real ID Troll - 320,761 total views
5) Ten Hits in Ten Seconds - The Whirlwind Batting Technique - 316,595 total views
6) Lindsay Lohan in Court (Interactive) - START HERE - 269,252 total views
7) Cool vs MakaPrime - Game 1 Part 1 - HD StarCraft - 223,366 total views
8) HD Starcraft 2 IdrA v Sen p1/3 - 306,059 total views
9) TRAILER - Game Glitches - Angry Video Game Nerd - 238,784 total views
10) Super Mario Bros. Leftovers - 329,752 total views
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
There's a snake in my hat! Snakes in tiny headgear becomes latest pet trend
Microsoft announces first exclusive Xbox One content: a documentary on the worst video game ever
Potential revolution in cancer treatment voted breakthrough of the year by scientists
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: PHP Deve...
£380 - £410 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Agile Business Analyst with expe...
£70000 - £80000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Solutions Architec...
£30000 - £36000 per annum: PCR Recruitment Limited: We are looking for an inno...