Top Diggs: the evolution of Star Trek, why churches should be made to pay taxes
The most popular news, videos and images as picked by Digg users during the last seven days, recorded on September 13.
1. ACLU: You Have EVERY RIGHT to Photograph that Cop
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) voiced its support of people using a mobile phone to film or photograph the police whilst they are acting in plain sight in a public space and set up a website that details photographers’ rights.
2. The Evolution of 'Star Trek'
An infographic that tracks the evolution of science fiction TV series Star Trek from the 1956 Star Trek precursor Forbidden Planet through to JJ Abrams’s re-imagined Star Trek films in 2009 and 2012/13.
3. Real Shared Sacrifice: It’s Time For Churches To Pay Taxes
An article that comments that the religious community "is paying nothing and it is time they start contributing to their community, state, and Federal governments for the resources they consume and damage they have wrought on this country."
4. Steve Jobs' 'curious' lack of public philanthropy
An opinion piece in The Week that notes it is curious that Steve Jobs has not (publicly) given away more money when his contemporaries (Bill Gates and Warren Buffett) have not only given away a great deal of their wealth, they have set up a “Giving Pledge” that encourages the super-rich to donate at least half of their wealth.
5. Which One is the Real Entitlement?
A cartoon that juxtaposes a man living off his social security benefits and a congressman living off his benefits while calling the other man a freeloader.
Life & Style blogs
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.