Sales-tracking firm the NPD Group has released its top 20 chart for the best-selling video games in North America throughout 2009. While Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox 360 topped the chart, and placed 7th on PlayStation 3, every other top 10 game was a family-friendly affair made both by, and for, Nintendo.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Modern Warfare 2, and Assassin's Creed II did especially well considering that they were only released in November 2009. Wii Fit Plus hit North American retail in October 2009.
At the other end of the spectrum, Mario Kart DS is the oldest title in the chart, released November 2005. Mario Kart Wii was out in April 2008, Wii Fit in May 2008.
All but eight were denoted as being suitable for all ages. Only one was given a 'Teen' rating (the mixed martial arts game UFC Undisputed 2009), and seven were rated as 'Mature' by the ESRB ( Modern Warfare 2, Halo ODST, Assassin's Creed II, Left 4 Dead 2, and Resident Evil 5).
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
3. Wii Sports Resort with Wii Motion Plus (Wii)
4. Wii Fit with Balance Board (Wii)
5. Mario Kart with Wheel (Wii)
6. Wii Play with Remote (Wii)
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
8. Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board (Wii)
9. Halo 3: ODST (360)
10. Pokémon Platinum (DS)
11. Madden NFL 10 (360)
12. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
13. Mario Kart DS (DS)
14. Assassin's Creed II (360)
15. Madden NFL 10 (PS3)
16. Left 4 Dead 2 (360)
17. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
18. UFC 2009 Undisputed (360)
19. EA Sports Active Bundle (Wii)
20. Resident Evil 5 (360)
Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service