Top ten global websites in January: Chinese-language sites growing
Thursday 17 February 2011
Facebook was the most visited website throughout the world across the month of January, while the growing presence of Chinese internet users has boosted Chinese-language sites, placing both Baidu and QQ in the top ten, according to Google's Ad Planner.
Ad Planner helps companies track which websites are the most visited within certain demographics in order to help companies target their advertisements. Google itself is excluded from the data results.
The data for the month of January, released this week, shows that across all countries the top two websites were social network Facebook and video sharing service YouTube.
The top two sites in China were search engine baidu.com and instant messaging site qq.com; across all geographical regions these sites ranked sixth and ninth, respectively.
Three other Chinese sites - entertainment portal sina.com.cn, auction site taobao.com and video sharing site youku.com - ranked just outside of the top ten, in 11th, 12th and 13th place, respectively.
The big surprise in the rankings is the absence of online retailer amazon.com. Though the site and its regional subsidiaries appeared in several geographic-specific searches, it was missing from the overall rankings.
According to Google Ad Planner, the top ten sites (excluding Google) ranked by audience reach across all demographics and geographical regions for the month of January are:
01. Facebook (social networking)
02. Youtube (video sharing)
03. Yahoo (search engine/email/news)
04. live.com - Windows Live (email provider, search engine, instant messaging)
05. msn.com (instant messaging)
06. baidu.com (Chinese search engine)
07. blogspot.com (blogging site)
08. microsoft.com (software)
09. qq.com (Chinese language instant messaging)
10. bing.com (search engine)
Daily rankings of the world's biggest sites by internet information company Alexa.com lists, as of February 16, the biggest websites in the world as:
05. Windows Live
06. blogger.com (blogging tool)
09. Twitter (micro-blogging site)
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£24000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Graduate BI Consultant (B...
£40000 - £55000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Service Delivery Manager (Product Ma...
£50000 - £70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Cloud Product and Solutions Marketin...
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...