Top ten global websites in January: Chinese-language sites growing
Thursday 17 February 2011
Facebook was the most visited website throughout the world across the month of January, while the growing presence of Chinese internet users has boosted Chinese-language sites, placing both Baidu and QQ in the top ten, according to Google's Ad Planner.
Ad Planner helps companies track which websites are the most visited within certain demographics in order to help companies target their advertisements. Google itself is excluded from the data results.
The data for the month of January, released this week, shows that across all countries the top two websites were social network Facebook and video sharing service YouTube.
The top two sites in China were search engine baidu.com and instant messaging site qq.com; across all geographical regions these sites ranked sixth and ninth, respectively.
Three other Chinese sites - entertainment portal sina.com.cn, auction site taobao.com and video sharing site youku.com - ranked just outside of the top ten, in 11th, 12th and 13th place, respectively.
The big surprise in the rankings is the absence of online retailer amazon.com. Though the site and its regional subsidiaries appeared in several geographic-specific searches, it was missing from the overall rankings.
According to Google Ad Planner, the top ten sites (excluding Google) ranked by audience reach across all demographics and geographical regions for the month of January are:
01. Facebook (social networking)
02. Youtube (video sharing)
03. Yahoo (search engine/email/news)
04. live.com - Windows Live (email provider, search engine, instant messaging)
05. msn.com (instant messaging)
06. baidu.com (Chinese search engine)
07. blogspot.com (blogging site)
08. microsoft.com (software)
09. qq.com (Chinese language instant messaging)
10. bing.com (search engine)
Daily rankings of the world's biggest sites by internet information company Alexa.com lists, as of February 16, the biggest websites in the world as:
05. Windows Live
06. blogger.com (blogging tool)
09. Twitter (micro-blogging site)
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£26000 - £33000 per annum + benefits and bonus: Ashdown Group: PHP Developer (...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Junior Software Developer is ...
£28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: PHP Web Developer - PHP MySQL JQuery HTML CSS...
£250 per day: Langley James : Network Engineer, NHS, CCNA, CCNP, West London £...