Top-selling video games of 2010: 'Black Ops,' 'Madden,' 'Halo: Reach'
Thursday 09 June 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops was North America's best selling video game of 2010, while combined sales of
Madden NFL 11 saw the sports game rise to second, and Xbox 360 exclusive
Halo: Reach was third.
Data collectors NPD decided to combine each game's sales across different consoles for the 2010 chart instead of counting each console version separately, and broke Nintendo's hold on the top twenty in the process.
The switch may have contributed in part to Madden NFL's dramatic improvement. In 2009, the sports franchise reached 11th by virtue of Xbox 360 sales alone; in 2010, its second-place performance also included PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions.
However, Halo: Reach made it all the way up to third off the back of Xbox 360 sales alone, becoming the year's best selling single-format game and bettering Halo: ODST's 9th from 2009.
New Super Mario Bros Wii fell two places to fourth while its DS equivalent, which was first released in 2006, dropped four to sixteenth.
Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Sports Resort also held on to make repeat appearances, as did Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - the only non-Nintendo title to do so.
Battlefield 3 will need to make more of an impact than Bad Company 2 did in order to dent Call of Duty's supremacy. Bullish statements from Electronic Arts underline their intention to do just that.
The two series were separated by only two places on 2010's PC games chart, where StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was king. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm was 2nd ( WoW titles accounted for six of the Top 20), and The Sims 3 was 3rd (another six for the series in the Top 20). Black Ops came in at 9th, and Bad Company 2 at 11th.
Top 20 Video Games of 2010 by units sold
01. Call of Duty Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, DS)
02. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
03. Halo: Reach (360)
04. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
05. Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
06. Wii Fit Plus
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
08. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3)
09. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3)
10. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
11. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360, PS3)
12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
13. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
14. Mario Kart Wii
15. Just Dance (Wii)
16. New Super Mario Bros DS
17. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
18. Wii Sports Resort
19. Fallout: New Vegas (360 PS3)
20. Final Fantasy XIII (360 PS3)
Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service
Life & Style blogs
Google Photos tags black people as 'gorillas', puts pictures in special folder
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 7: Force Touch phones are being prepared for launch, say reports
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
- 1 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal will donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Project Coordinator is requir...
£26000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An IT Support Technician is req...
£18000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + competitive: SThree: As an Associate Recruitment C...