Top-selling video games of 2010: 'Black Ops,' 'Madden,' 'Halo: Reach'
Thursday 09 June 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops was North America's best selling video game of 2010, while combined sales of
Madden NFL 11 saw the sports game rise to second, and Xbox 360 exclusive
Halo: Reach was third.
Data collectors NPD decided to combine each game's sales across different consoles for the 2010 chart instead of counting each console version separately, and broke Nintendo's hold on the top twenty in the process.
The switch may have contributed in part to Madden NFL's dramatic improvement. In 2009, the sports franchise reached 11th by virtue of Xbox 360 sales alone; in 2010, its second-place performance also included PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions.
However, Halo: Reach made it all the way up to third off the back of Xbox 360 sales alone, becoming the year's best selling single-format game and bettering Halo: ODST's 9th from 2009.
New Super Mario Bros Wii fell two places to fourth while its DS equivalent, which was first released in 2006, dropped four to sixteenth.
Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Sports Resort also held on to make repeat appearances, as did Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - the only non-Nintendo title to do so.
Battlefield 3 will need to make more of an impact than Bad Company 2 did in order to dent Call of Duty's supremacy. Bullish statements from Electronic Arts underline their intention to do just that.
The two series were separated by only two places on 2010's PC games chart, where StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was king. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm was 2nd ( WoW titles accounted for six of the Top 20), and The Sims 3 was 3rd (another six for the series in the Top 20). Black Ops came in at 9th, and Bad Company 2 at 11th.
Top 20 Video Games of 2010 by units sold
01. Call of Duty Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, DS)
02. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
03. Halo: Reach (360)
04. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
05. Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
06. Wii Fit Plus
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
08. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3)
09. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3)
10. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
11. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360, PS3)
12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
13. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
14. Mario Kart Wii
15. Just Dance (Wii)
16. New Super Mario Bros DS
17. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
18. Wii Sports Resort
19. Fallout: New Vegas (360 PS3)
20. Final Fantasy XIII (360 PS3)
Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service
Life & Style blogs
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
Labour leadership contest: I would never quit the party, says Liz Kendall
- 1 Australia to impose 24-hour curfew on all cats to protect endangered species
- 2 The difference between a psychopath and a sociopath
- 3 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 4 Walter Palmer: Cecil the lion killer revealed to be American dentist
- 5 What TripAdvisor users think of 16 of the world's most popular landmarks
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45 - £55k DOE: Guru Careers: A Financial Controller is required to join a suc...
£30000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you motivated to hit and ex...
£25000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to continued growth an exce...
£50000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A technical SharePoint Consulta...