Top-selling video games of 2010: 'Black Ops,' 'Madden,' 'Halo: Reach'
Thursday 09 June 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops was North America's best selling video game of 2010, while combined sales of
Madden NFL 11 saw the sports game rise to second, and Xbox 360 exclusive
Halo: Reach was third.
Data collectors NPD decided to combine each game's sales across different consoles for the 2010 chart instead of counting each console version separately, and broke Nintendo's hold on the top twenty in the process.
The switch may have contributed in part to Madden NFL's dramatic improvement. In 2009, the sports franchise reached 11th by virtue of Xbox 360 sales alone; in 2010, its second-place performance also included PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions.
However, Halo: Reach made it all the way up to third off the back of Xbox 360 sales alone, becoming the year's best selling single-format game and bettering Halo: ODST's 9th from 2009.
New Super Mario Bros Wii fell two places to fourth while its DS equivalent, which was first released in 2006, dropped four to sixteenth.
Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Sports Resort also held on to make repeat appearances, as did Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - the only non-Nintendo title to do so.
Battlefield 3 will need to make more of an impact than Bad Company 2 did in order to dent Call of Duty's supremacy. Bullish statements from Electronic Arts underline their intention to do just that.
The two series were separated by only two places on 2010's PC games chart, where StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was king. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm was 2nd ( WoW titles accounted for six of the Top 20), and The Sims 3 was 3rd (another six for the series in the Top 20). Black Ops came in at 9th, and Bad Company 2 at 11th.
Top 20 Video Games of 2010 by units sold
01. Call of Duty Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, DS)
02. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
03. Halo: Reach (360)
04. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
05. Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
06. Wii Fit Plus
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
08. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3)
09. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3)
10. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
11. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360, PS3)
12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
13. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
14. Mario Kart Wii
15. Just Dance (Wii)
16. New Super Mario Bros DS
17. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
18. Wii Sports Resort
19. Fallout: New Vegas (360 PS3)
20. Final Fantasy XIII (360 PS3)
Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service
Life & Style blogs
Free the internet from commercial interests, says Martha Lane Fox
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Contents of women's handbags can be worth more than a small car
Gold Apple Watch buyers can skip queues
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 4 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
- 5 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£58000 - £65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: SQL DBA - Bromley, South East London...
£55000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Service Delivery Manager ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is require...
£21000 - £24000 per annum + 21 days holidays: Ashdown Group: Technical Support...