Top-selling video games of 2010: 'Black Ops,' 'Madden,' 'Halo: Reach'
Thursday 09 June 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops was North America's best selling video game of 2010, while combined sales of
Madden NFL 11 saw the sports game rise to second, and Xbox 360 exclusive
Halo: Reach was third.
Data collectors NPD decided to combine each game's sales across different consoles for the 2010 chart instead of counting each console version separately, and broke Nintendo's hold on the top twenty in the process.
The switch may have contributed in part to Madden NFL's dramatic improvement. In 2009, the sports franchise reached 11th by virtue of Xbox 360 sales alone; in 2010, its second-place performance also included PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions.
However, Halo: Reach made it all the way up to third off the back of Xbox 360 sales alone, becoming the year's best selling single-format game and bettering Halo: ODST's 9th from 2009.
New Super Mario Bros Wii fell two places to fourth while its DS equivalent, which was first released in 2006, dropped four to sixteenth.
Wii Fit Plus, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Sports Resort also held on to make repeat appearances, as did Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - the only non-Nintendo title to do so.
Battlefield 3 will need to make more of an impact than Bad Company 2 did in order to dent Call of Duty's supremacy. Bullish statements from Electronic Arts underline their intention to do just that.
The two series were separated by only two places on 2010's PC games chart, where StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was king. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm was 2nd ( WoW titles accounted for six of the Top 20), and The Sims 3 was 3rd (another six for the series in the Top 20). Black Ops came in at 9th, and Bad Company 2 at 11th.
Top 20 Video Games of 2010 by units sold
01. Call of Duty Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, DS)
02. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
03. Halo: Reach (360)
04. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
05. Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
06. Wii Fit Plus
07. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
08. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3)
09. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3)
10. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
11. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360, PS3)
12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
13. Pokémon SoulSilver (DS)
14. Mario Kart Wii
15. Just Dance (Wii)
16. New Super Mario Bros DS
17. Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
18. Wii Sports Resort
19. Fallout: New Vegas (360 PS3)
20. Final Fantasy XIII (360 PS3)
Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service
Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy
Review: Mike Leigh's biopic is a rambling, rich character study
Want to ward off (or welcome) trick-or-treaters? Here's how
Life & Style blogs
How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween with this step-by-step tutorial
Five year old British boy becomes youngest ever qualified computer specialist
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
Woman successfully sues Google for showing her with 'part of her breast exposed' on Street View
Sex with more than 20 women 'reduces risk of prostate cancer'
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £35K: SThree: We consistently strive to be the...
£24000 - £25000 Per Annum plus company car and commission: Clearwater People S...
£25 - 32k DOE: Guru Careers: A digital-savvy Marketing Account Manager / Clien...
£23-30k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking bright Business Developmen...