Why is my internet so slow? It's probably because you live in Essex
A new report has revealed areas with the fastest and slowest broadband speeds
It's home to fake tan, vajazzles and, of course, favourite son Joey. But now Essex can add another title to the list – the worst county for speedy broadband access.
Wheatley Road in Stanford-le-Hope is one of six streets in the county to feature on a list of the UK’s 50 slowest streets for broadband.
The street, which shared the top spot with Erw Fawr in rural north Wales, performed sluggish download speeds of 0.60Mbps - the UK’s slowest, uSwitch.com found.
Meanwhile, the lucky residents of Loundes Road in Derbyshire enjoy a download speed almost 100 times faster than the country’s worst.
At 57.58Mbps, it would take just nine minutes to download a HD quality film in Loundes Road – but Wheatley Road and Erw Fawr residents would have to wait 15 hours for the download to finish.
The figures are the result of nearly two million speed tests conducted by UK broadband users over six months.
Although Essex polls poorly in the speed rankings, the county is home to the streets with the fourth and tenth fastest speeds, on Byfletts and Griffins Close.
Grange Gardens in highly desirable Hampstead, London also appears on the list of the fifty worst broadband speeds in the UK.
Homes there can easily fetch half a million pounds, but residents have to endure download speeds of 1.19Mbps – nearly 50 times as worse-off than the the country’s best.
According to the study, only 15% of Britons enjoy ‘superfast’ broadband speeds of 30Mbps or higher, despite the fact that nearly three quarters of the country have access to them.
Meanwhile, four in 10 of us suffer from sluggish download speeds of under 5Mbps
Marie-Louise Abretti, broadband expert at uSwitch.com, said the figures show that superfact connections are “clearly not being utilised”.
“More needs to be done to increase awareness of availability and cost,” she said. “Poor connectivity can severely affect local businesses, impact house prices and children’s education, which is why it’s crucial the government keeps its eye on the ball when it comes to improving UK broadband infrastructure”.
She encouraged residents to compare the speed of their connection test their speeds regularly online and compare their results to other local users with to see if other provides are offering faster speeds.
The ten slowest streets
1= Erw Fawr, Henryd, Conwy, Wales (0.60Mbps)
1= Wheatley Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex (0.60Mbps)
3. Station Road, Boston, Lincolnshire (0.65Mbps)
4. Kelvin Grove, North Shields, Tyne and Wear (0.74Mbps)
5. Maple Crescent, Alveley, Shropshire (0.91Mbps)
6. Evesham Road, Evesham, Worcestershire (0.92Mbps)
7. Meadow View, Brampton, Cumbria (0.94Mbps)
8. Canal Street, Oakthorpe, Leicestershire (0.96Mbps)
9. Pickleys Lane, Doveridge, Derbyshire (0.99Mbps)
10. Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk (1.03Mbps)
The ten fastest streets
1. Loundes Road, Dronfield, Derbyshire (57.58Mbps)
2. Spencer Close, Swindon, Wiltshire (50.60Mbps)
3. Northam Drive, Ripley, Derbyshire (44.67Mbps)
4. Byfletts, Basildon, Essex (41.47Mbps)
5. Mill Lane, Lincoln, Lincolnshire (38.88Mbps)
6. Lymington Road, New Milton, Hampshire (35.70Mbps)
7. Littlewood Lane, Walsall, Staffordshire (35.64Mbps)
8. Camel Road, London (34.62Mbps)
9. Pen-Y-Graig Road, Wrexham (31.91Mbps)
10. Giffins Close, Braintree, Essex (30.33Mbps)
Jo from Northern Ireland was less than impressed by Russell Brand's attempt to stage a publicity stunt
Life & Style blogs
Alexander McQueen at auction: What makes a really great piece of fashion?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
No female ejaculation, please, we’re British: a history of porn and censorship
Stressed nurses are 'forced to choose between health of patients and their own'
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Web Developer/Designer - WordPress, PHP, HTML...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global 3D visualisation compa...
£28000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer - Derbyshire, commutab...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: SQL Developer - 12 Month Fixed Term ...