Why is my internet so slow? It's probably because you live in Essex
A new report has revealed areas with the fastest and slowest broadband speeds
It's home to fake tan, vajazzles and, of course, favourite son Joey. But now Essex can add another title to the list – the worst county for speedy broadband access.
Wheatley Road in Stanford-le-Hope is one of six streets in the county to feature on a list of the UK’s 50 slowest streets for broadband.
The street, which shared the top spot with Erw Fawr in rural north Wales, performed sluggish download speeds of 0.60Mbps - the UK’s slowest, uSwitch.com found.
Meanwhile, the lucky residents of Loundes Road in Derbyshire enjoy a download speed almost 100 times faster than the country’s worst.
At 57.58Mbps, it would take just nine minutes to download a HD quality film in Loundes Road – but Wheatley Road and Erw Fawr residents would have to wait 15 hours for the download to finish.
The figures are the result of nearly two million speed tests conducted by UK broadband users over six months.
Although Essex polls poorly in the speed rankings, the county is home to the streets with the fourth and tenth fastest speeds, on Byfletts and Griffins Close.
Grange Gardens in highly desirable Hampstead, London also appears on the list of the fifty worst broadband speeds in the UK.
Homes there can easily fetch half a million pounds, but residents have to endure download speeds of 1.19Mbps – nearly 50 times as worse-off than the the country’s best.
According to the study, only 15% of Britons enjoy ‘superfast’ broadband speeds of 30Mbps or higher, despite the fact that nearly three quarters of the country have access to them.
Meanwhile, four in 10 of us suffer from sluggish download speeds of under 5Mbps
Marie-Louise Abretti, broadband expert at uSwitch.com, said the figures show that superfact connections are “clearly not being utilised”.
“More needs to be done to increase awareness of availability and cost,” she said. “Poor connectivity can severely affect local businesses, impact house prices and children’s education, which is why it’s crucial the government keeps its eye on the ball when it comes to improving UK broadband infrastructure”.
She encouraged residents to compare the speed of their connection test their speeds regularly online and compare their results to other local users with to see if other provides are offering faster speeds.
The ten slowest streets
1= Erw Fawr, Henryd, Conwy, Wales (0.60Mbps)
1= Wheatley Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex (0.60Mbps)
3. Station Road, Boston, Lincolnshire (0.65Mbps)
4. Kelvin Grove, North Shields, Tyne and Wear (0.74Mbps)
5. Maple Crescent, Alveley, Shropshire (0.91Mbps)
6. Evesham Road, Evesham, Worcestershire (0.92Mbps)
7. Meadow View, Brampton, Cumbria (0.94Mbps)
8. Canal Street, Oakthorpe, Leicestershire (0.96Mbps)
9. Pickleys Lane, Doveridge, Derbyshire (0.99Mbps)
10. Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk (1.03Mbps)
The ten fastest streets
1. Loundes Road, Dronfield, Derbyshire (57.58Mbps)
2. Spencer Close, Swindon, Wiltshire (50.60Mbps)
3. Northam Drive, Ripley, Derbyshire (44.67Mbps)
4. Byfletts, Basildon, Essex (41.47Mbps)
5. Mill Lane, Lincoln, Lincolnshire (38.88Mbps)
6. Lymington Road, New Milton, Hampshire (35.70Mbps)
7. Littlewood Lane, Walsall, Staffordshire (35.64Mbps)
8. Camel Road, London (34.62Mbps)
9. Pen-Y-Graig Road, Wrexham (31.91Mbps)
10. Giffins Close, Braintree, Essex (30.33Mbps)
Life & Style blogs
How to carve a pumpkin for Halloween with this tutorial
Five year old British boy becomes youngest ever qualified computer specialist
Sex with more than 20 women 'reduces risk of prostate cancer'
Woman successfully sues Google for showing her with 'part of her breast exposed' on Street View
Halloween 2014: Google celebrates All Hallows' Eve with Doodle
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£24000 - £25000 Per Annum plus company car and commission: Clearwater People S...
£25 - 32k DOE: Guru Careers: A digital-savvy Marketing Account Manager / Clien...
£23-30k (DOE) + Bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking bright Business Developmen...
25-30k + Comms + Benefits: Sphere Digital Recruitment: A rapidly expanding tag...