Why is my internet so slow? It's probably because you live in Essex
A new report has revealed areas with the fastest and slowest broadband speeds
It's home to fake tan, vajazzles and, of course, favourite son Joey. But now Essex can add another title to the list – the worst county for speedy broadband access.
Wheatley Road in Stanford-le-Hope is one of six streets in the county to feature on a list of the UK’s 50 slowest streets for broadband.
The street, which shared the top spot with Erw Fawr in rural north Wales, performed sluggish download speeds of 0.60Mbps - the UK’s slowest, uSwitch.com found.
Meanwhile, the lucky residents of Loundes Road in Derbyshire enjoy a download speed almost 100 times faster than the country’s worst.
At 57.58Mbps, it would take just nine minutes to download a HD quality film in Loundes Road – but Wheatley Road and Erw Fawr residents would have to wait 15 hours for the download to finish.
The figures are the result of nearly two million speed tests conducted by UK broadband users over six months.
Although Essex polls poorly in the speed rankings, the county is home to the streets with the fourth and tenth fastest speeds, on Byfletts and Griffins Close.
Grange Gardens in highly desirable Hampstead, London also appears on the list of the fifty worst broadband speeds in the UK.
Homes there can easily fetch half a million pounds, but residents have to endure download speeds of 1.19Mbps – nearly 50 times as worse-off than the the country’s best.
According to the study, only 15% of Britons enjoy ‘superfast’ broadband speeds of 30Mbps or higher, despite the fact that nearly three quarters of the country have access to them.
Meanwhile, four in 10 of us suffer from sluggish download speeds of under 5Mbps
Marie-Louise Abretti, broadband expert at uSwitch.com, said the figures show that superfact connections are “clearly not being utilised”.
“More needs to be done to increase awareness of availability and cost,” she said. “Poor connectivity can severely affect local businesses, impact house prices and children’s education, which is why it’s crucial the government keeps its eye on the ball when it comes to improving UK broadband infrastructure”.
She encouraged residents to compare the speed of their connection test their speeds regularly online and compare their results to other local users with to see if other provides are offering faster speeds.
The ten slowest streets
1= Erw Fawr, Henryd, Conwy, Wales (0.60Mbps)
1= Wheatley Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex (0.60Mbps)
3. Station Road, Boston, Lincolnshire (0.65Mbps)
4. Kelvin Grove, North Shields, Tyne and Wear (0.74Mbps)
5. Maple Crescent, Alveley, Shropshire (0.91Mbps)
6. Evesham Road, Evesham, Worcestershire (0.92Mbps)
7. Meadow View, Brampton, Cumbria (0.94Mbps)
8. Canal Street, Oakthorpe, Leicestershire (0.96Mbps)
9. Pickleys Lane, Doveridge, Derbyshire (0.99Mbps)
10. Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk (1.03Mbps)
The ten fastest streets
1. Loundes Road, Dronfield, Derbyshire (57.58Mbps)
2. Spencer Close, Swindon, Wiltshire (50.60Mbps)
3. Northam Drive, Ripley, Derbyshire (44.67Mbps)
4. Byfletts, Basildon, Essex (41.47Mbps)
5. Mill Lane, Lincoln, Lincolnshire (38.88Mbps)
6. Lymington Road, New Milton, Hampshire (35.70Mbps)
7. Littlewood Lane, Walsall, Staffordshire (35.64Mbps)
8. Camel Road, London (34.62Mbps)
9. Pen-Y-Graig Road, Wrexham (31.91Mbps)
10. Giffins Close, Braintree, Essex (30.33Mbps)
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Ebola outbreak: Survivor William Pooley is flown to US to give doctor with virus emergency blood transfusion
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8: how to free up space on your iPhone or iPad to install update
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Scottish independence results live - The reunited kingdom: Scotland gives a clear 'No' in historic referendum
- 2 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 3 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£50000 - £70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Cloud Product and Solutions Marketin...
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...
£24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...
£45000 - £55000 Per Annum 31 days holiday, pension, healthcare, annual bonus: ...