Why is my internet so slow? It's probably because you live in Essex
A new report has revealed areas with the fastest and slowest broadband speeds
It's home to fake tan, vajazzles and, of course, favourite son Joey. But now Essex can add another title to the list – the worst county for speedy broadband access.
Wheatley Road in Stanford-le-Hope is one of six streets in the county to feature on a list of the UK’s 50 slowest streets for broadband.
The street, which shared the top spot with Erw Fawr in rural north Wales, performed sluggish download speeds of 0.60Mbps - the UK’s slowest, uSwitch.com found.
Meanwhile, the lucky residents of Loundes Road in Derbyshire enjoy a download speed almost 100 times faster than the country’s worst.
At 57.58Mbps, it would take just nine minutes to download a HD quality film in Loundes Road – but Wheatley Road and Erw Fawr residents would have to wait 15 hours for the download to finish.
The figures are the result of nearly two million speed tests conducted by UK broadband users over six months.
Although Essex polls poorly in the speed rankings, the county is home to the streets with the fourth and tenth fastest speeds, on Byfletts and Griffins Close.
Grange Gardens in highly desirable Hampstead, London also appears on the list of the fifty worst broadband speeds in the UK.
Homes there can easily fetch half a million pounds, but residents have to endure download speeds of 1.19Mbps – nearly 50 times as worse-off than the the country’s best.
According to the study, only 15% of Britons enjoy ‘superfast’ broadband speeds of 30Mbps or higher, despite the fact that nearly three quarters of the country have access to them.
Meanwhile, four in 10 of us suffer from sluggish download speeds of under 5Mbps
Marie-Louise Abretti, broadband expert at uSwitch.com, said the figures show that superfact connections are “clearly not being utilised”.
“More needs to be done to increase awareness of availability and cost,” she said. “Poor connectivity can severely affect local businesses, impact house prices and children’s education, which is why it’s crucial the government keeps its eye on the ball when it comes to improving UK broadband infrastructure”.
She encouraged residents to compare the speed of their connection test their speeds regularly online and compare their results to other local users with to see if other provides are offering faster speeds.
The ten slowest streets
1= Erw Fawr, Henryd, Conwy, Wales (0.60Mbps)
1= Wheatley Road, Stanford-le-Hope, Essex (0.60Mbps)
3. Station Road, Boston, Lincolnshire (0.65Mbps)
4. Kelvin Grove, North Shields, Tyne and Wear (0.74Mbps)
5. Maple Crescent, Alveley, Shropshire (0.91Mbps)
6. Evesham Road, Evesham, Worcestershire (0.92Mbps)
7. Meadow View, Brampton, Cumbria (0.94Mbps)
8. Canal Street, Oakthorpe, Leicestershire (0.96Mbps)
9. Pickleys Lane, Doveridge, Derbyshire (0.99Mbps)
10. Dereham Road, Norwich, Norfolk (1.03Mbps)
The ten fastest streets
1. Loundes Road, Dronfield, Derbyshire (57.58Mbps)
2. Spencer Close, Swindon, Wiltshire (50.60Mbps)
3. Northam Drive, Ripley, Derbyshire (44.67Mbps)
4. Byfletts, Basildon, Essex (41.47Mbps)
5. Mill Lane, Lincoln, Lincolnshire (38.88Mbps)
6. Lymington Road, New Milton, Hampshire (35.70Mbps)
7. Littlewood Lane, Walsall, Staffordshire (35.64Mbps)
8. Camel Road, London (34.62Mbps)
9. Pen-Y-Graig Road, Wrexham (31.91Mbps)
10. Giffins Close, Braintree, Essex (30.33Mbps)
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client IT Account Manager is ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Compute Engineer role also ...
£13676.46 - £15864.28 per annum + Uncapped Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Re...
£24000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity has ari...