Yao Chen becomes China's first microblogger to reach 9 million fans, Lady Gaga sails past 11 million
Monday 20 June 2011
While Justin Bieber is still celebrating his 10 million follower milestone on Twitter, Yao Chen has become the first microblogger to reach 9 million followers on China's microblogging platform Weibo.
The world's most followed microblogger, Lady Gaga, continued to add to her long list of minions.
She tweeted "#11MillionMonsters. You always cheer me up" as she sailed past her latest milestone of 11 million followers.
The pop star encouraged her followers to share their opinions on the legalization of gay marriage in America while offering her point of view on the subject: "I feel the denial of gay marriage sends a prejudice message. Our youth deserve a fair+hopeful future with government that values us equally."
Over on Sina's Weibo, Taiwanese TV host Dee Hsu surged past 8 million followers and Chinese actress Zhao Wei cracked the 7 million follower mark.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (11,034,487 followers)
- Justin Bieber (10,464,702)
- Barack Obama (8,723,820)
- Britney Spears (8,249,557)
- Kim Kardashian (7,939,606)
- Katy Perry (7,926,512)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,982,975)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,896,286)
- Taylor Swift (6,781,831)
- Shakira (6,695,842)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (9,031,143 followers)
- Dee Hsu (8,152,330)
- Kevin Tsai (7,303,476)
- Zhao Wei (7,010,328)
- Jung Kyung Ho (6,718,268)
- Xie Na (6,651,346)
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Chloe Sevigny poses with a lobster on her crotch in a daring shoot for Marfa Journal
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Nessie Street View and homepage Doodle
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£65000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A long-established, tech...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Experienced Software Dev...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...