Yao Chen becomes China's first microblogger to reach 9 million fans, Lady Gaga sails past 11 million
Monday 20 June 2011
While Justin Bieber is still celebrating his 10 million follower milestone on Twitter, Yao Chen has become the first microblogger to reach 9 million followers on China's microblogging platform Weibo.
The world's most followed microblogger, Lady Gaga, continued to add to her long list of minions.
She tweeted "#11MillionMonsters. You always cheer me up" as she sailed past her latest milestone of 11 million followers.
The pop star encouraged her followers to share their opinions on the legalization of gay marriage in America while offering her point of view on the subject: "I feel the denial of gay marriage sends a prejudice message. Our youth deserve a fair+hopeful future with government that values us equally."
Over on Sina's Weibo, Taiwanese TV host Dee Hsu surged past 8 million followers and Chinese actress Zhao Wei cracked the 7 million follower mark.
In September 2010, Twitter had 175 million registered users, while Sina reports that Weibo had more than 140 million registered users in May 2011.
Most popular people on Twitter:
- Lady Gaga (11,034,487 followers)
- Justin Bieber (10,464,702)
- Barack Obama (8,723,820)
- Britney Spears (8,249,557)
- Kim Kardashian (7,939,606)
- Katy Perry (7,926,512)
- Ashton Kutcher (6,982,975)
- Ellen DeGeneres (6,896,286)
- Taylor Swift (6,781,831)
- Shakira (6,695,842)
Most popular people on Sina's microblog (Weibo):
- Yao Chen (9,031,143 followers)
- Dee Hsu (8,152,330)
- Kevin Tsai (7,303,476)
- Zhao Wei (7,010,328)
- Jung Kyung Ho (6,718,268)
- Xie Na (6,651,346)
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Gadgets & Tech
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Customer Service Executive is required...
£37000 - £39000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: SQL Database Administrato...
£26000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Expanding creative studio requi...